• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Abbreviations and kewl talk reminder

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
Just a reminder of our rule about not using abbreviations and "kewl" (text) talk on the boards (ex "ymmv", "4u"). Please remember that not everyone uses these, so they have to spend time working out what you mean instead of reading and replying to your posts. Also, don't forget that we do have a lot of members for whom English is not their first language, and that can also be an added challenge for some.

We're all guilty of it so it's something good to remember.

Athena

The original one-eyed chicklet
Watcher
Black Thorn
I hate txtspk with a passion, but I am guilty of using internet abbreviations, like IRL. Sometimes we forget some of our members don't speak English as a first language, mainly because their written English is so good (in many cases, better than my own!)

ChaseRules
ChaseRules
And mine as well :)

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
I hate txtspk with a passion, but I am guilty of using internet abbreviations, like IRL.
See... I am trying to be good today and not post "IKR" as my response. But I know, right? I think I have said IRL in the past as well. Hopefully when we are flayed for our transgressions they string you up first so I can enjoy a good laugh before I get my comeuppance.

Professor Walsh
Professor Walsh
I believe "Oh" is always pronounced with a far more open sound - like in, LOL. I don't think the "o" I am looking for is used in English. I may be wrong.

Washburne

Protector of the key.
Black Thorn
I guess that means lol as well?

See... I am trying to be good today and not post "IKR" as my response. But I know, right? I think I have said IRL in the past as well.
I'm definitely guilty of writing irl but I must admit that IKR had me stumped.

edit: @Mr. Pole Well there's a certain Buffy that likes to use lol so lets see what she says. ;) Personally I have no problem giving lol a pass.

Last edited:
S
Spanky
Oh damn, I hope not lol.. I just stopped saying haha for lol. but I think lol can sound condescending a little bit as well. Maybe its whose doing the loling.

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
I am young, so I tend to sometimes use text talk (such as IKR or ASAP) without even thinking about it.

Anyways, thanks for the reminder :)

Priceless
Priceless
I am so old I have just started using lol . . . lol

Bluebird

two by two, hands of blue
Black Thorn
I'd understand lol getting a pass, it's almost became a word in its own right. I try not to use text speak because it annoys me too, but we all slip up, especially when language is evolving so much. :)

S
Spanky
I only say that because buffy uses it alot... it would make me lol to see her struggling not to say lol... the smiley face too. Or course I think we could get rid of all of the faces. I hate them.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
I would like to ban this too
:)

I hate that... and
;):(:mad::confused::cool::p:D:eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O

I dont know what they mean or how to take them. I think they are insulting and are a passive aggressive way to make a point. And I am serious. They just make me uneasy because they all look like smartarse facial expressions.

Bluebird
Bluebird
Depends on the context I think. When responding to members in a discussion it can be, but when speaking in general I think it's ok.

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
You might have a point on the passive agressive bit...but then probably not.
clear.png
:cool:

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Sineya
I would like to ban this too
:)

I hate that... and
;):(:mad::confused::cool::p:D:eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O

I dont know what they mean or how to take them. I think they are insulting and are a passive aggressive way to make a point. And I am serious. They just make me uneasy because they all look like smartarse facial expressions.

Yeah, some people here absolutely use them in a passive aggressive way which is annoying as hell.

I use them when I'm not sure if my joke or playfulness will be understood. Kinda the total opposite of the other way people use them.

Athena

The original one-eyed chicklet
Watcher
Black Thorn
I only use smileys to show people how I feel in a round about way. If I find what I say amusing (which I grant you is a lot of the time), I use :D.

But, people will use them how they see fit I guess... o_O

GwenRaiden

AKA Apology Girl
Black Thorn
I understand most of the abbreviations exampled here, it's the ones for Buffy and Angel I struggle with.

Priceless

Scooby
I am the sort of person who types 'you're' when texting, so most of this is lost on me. Think the word is Luddite

Top Bottom