• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Abbreviations and kewl talk reminder

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
If the plural of mouse is mice, does that mean the plural of spouse is spice?

Is the appropriate response jSUFIHWEUIPFVNAJIDAVNIDPJ

I feel like a just had a seizure. But what I mean is lol.

I spent faaar too long on fb, it dulls the mind and the ability to spell. For a mass communication tool - there are many misunderstandings.

My plan is to put a list of grammar rules and proper english on the back of the toilet door.

@Ethan Reigns Yes sometimes. Its a good place to process information - out with the crap, in with the education?

Ethan Reigns
Ethan Reigns
Is this where you are when you post on this board?
Professor Walsh
Professor Walsh
I have a list of important molecule structures on the bathroom wall.

Blair

Vamp Blair
Sineya
I can't stand the text talk speak. Had a friend who used to do it all the time. Ironically she was a TAFE lecturer (equivalent of a lower college I guess). Drove me nuts

Octavia
Octavia
I thought TAFE was for people who didnt like/finish school? Txt speak is exactly what I would expect from teachers there. Lol

Blair

Vamp Blair
Sineya
OccaQuokka: I thought TAFE was for people who didnt like/finish school? Txt speak is exactly what I would expect from teachers there. Lol
Haha brutal! But fair call :p She was a Property Manager too. When I first met her I thought she was the last person on earth to do text talk. Mature and everything. Then she texts me... Had to call her up a few times and be like "What the bloody hell does THIS say???"

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
I have a heck of a time understanding txt talk, when I write story's they are meant to be in proper English,
unfortunately this computer is Microsoft Words and that's in American and I have to change it. It's all fun.

Geobubbles

Can I play with the puppy?
Black Thorn
I can't stand the text talk speak. Had a friend who used to do it all the time. Ironically she was a TAFE lecturer (equivalent of a lower college I guess). Drove me nuts

I'm only going to do this from now on when we talk :p or at least try hahaha

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
People over the age of 45 who communicate with me via sms ALL use txt talk. I wonder if they have arthritis and it hurts? Or they have forgotten how to spell in the time they need the word (I can relate to that!). If I sound it out I can usually figure out what they mean. They prefer to talk over the phone. Emailing them can be different when there is the time and space and freedom to articulate well on all sides. Usually when we text its for a question or quick comment. I know how many times I had to edit texts back in the day (hahha) to get them down to character limit to send.

Can we blame twitter? That is where I shorten words the most personally.

I did a semester of german at TAFE once, I am pretty sure even the exchange teacher was thinking - what a bunch of drongos.

Athena

The original one-eyed chicklet
Watcher
Black Thorn
Txt spk actually takes longer for me to write and read than normal length words, so for me I find it pointless and unnecessary.

Like 'gr8' I read as gee-arr-8. Which is not great.

Octavia
Octavia
g8 m8

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
Another reminder about abbreviations - it makes posts really hard to read and I've noticed an uptick in people abbreviating especially names but also episode titles. Even if it's something people can generally work out it still makes it hard to read the post. Thanks :)

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
Thanks for the reminder, I know I'm really bad at doing it and I'll try to remember to write it out :)

Top Bottom