• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Bookclub - "The Witches of Echo Park" by Amber Benson

Taake

I do doodle. You too. You do doodle, too.
Staff member
Black Thorn
Hey guys, I just picked up one of Amber Benson's books and thought I'd see if someone wanted to read it with me :) If you do, just sign up in this thread and I'll post a schedule in about a week or so, depending on when people get their books.
thumbnail_IMG_4025.jpg

The Witches of Echo Park is the first book in a series written by Benson, the plot summary goes:

Unbeknownst to most of humankind, a powerful network of witches thrives within the shadows of society, using their magic to keep the world in balance. But they are being eliminated—and we will all pay if their power falls…

When Lyse MacAllister’s great-aunt Eleanora, the woman who raised her, becomes deathly ill, Lyse puts her comfortable life in Georgia on hold to rush back to Los Angeles. And once she returns to Echo Park, Lyse discovers her great-aunt has been keeping secrets—extraordinary secrets—from her.

Not only is Lyse heir to Eleanora’s Victorian estate; she is also expected to take her great-aunt’s place in the Echo Park coven of witches. But to accept her destiny means to place herself in deadly peril—for the world of magic is under siege, and the battle the witches now fight may be their last…

:)

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
thought I'd see if someone wanted to read it with me
I don't but the read it with me comment made me question how that could happen since its not really with, per se, then I started thinking could narrate to one another and then I thought wait a minute little miss deadly @nightshade was narrating something and she tots stopped! That's been since forever ago.

For awhile I have wondered if that book was any good as I have heard positive reviews but they all seemed to be tainted by a fans' perspective. So I am invested in following this thread to see what people think, even if not actually doing the reading. I'll stick to the crib notes.

Taake

Staff member
Black Thorn
I've also seen mixed reviews, but curiosity finally got to me. I hope I'll like her writing, the genre tends to have kind of mediocre writers.

Nightshade should totally get back to her reading project, she was a good narrator!

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
I'll have a think and might restart the reading project again, need to sort out audio though

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
I'll have a think and might restart the reading project again, need to sort out audio though
That would be awesome!! It was really cool. And there are few things in this world that I can say "I would never do" about, and that, was one thing I would never do. So I was always impressed whenever I saw them.

Sorry Tooker, didn't mean to go off topic

Grace

Destructo-Girl
Black Thorn
Hey guys, I just picked up one of Amber Benson's books and thought I'd see if someone wanted to read it with me :) If you do, just sign up in this thread and I'll post a schedule in about a week or so, depending on when people get their books.

I’m in! I just bought the Kindle version, so I can start anytime.

Taake
Taake
Speedy McSpeederson :D

Athena

The original one-eyed chicklet
Staff member
Black Thorn
I found it for 55p on Amazon. I hope that's not a reflection of the quality of the writing :p

So I'm in and I'll try to keep up!

Taake

Staff member
Black Thorn
Great! I'll be posting a reading schedule this week, and hopefully everyone will have gotten their book so we can start reading by next week :)

@Grace does the Kindle version have page numbers or "locations" (sometimes they do), cause in that case I can indicate to you what chapters will be relevant to the weeks discussion rather than pages?

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
Oh that sucks. Well, I wonder if my older kindle locations are the same as Grace's? Then I could work with you to find out what they are. Or are there chapters that just aren't numbered and we could just keep a count ourselves? Or that might make figuring out the locations easier? I don't have my kindle with me so I can't look at it until tonight.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Is it always Buffy related books for this or do you sometimes read other things? And do you do non-fiction ever?

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
Well, it's always going to be Whedonverse related. I *think* they've all been Buffy so far, until this one which is outside the verse. I'm not sure if we could get enough people to do a non-fiction but it's not outside the realm of possibility.

Taake

Staff member
Black Thorn
The chapters seemed to switch between narrators, so that's what each chapters "title" is. I'll give it a closer look when I get home, it might be best to look at locations, and/ord first sentence of the chapter.

:)

S
Spanky
Oops. Didnt read this
Top Bottom