• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Books books and more books...

Altoz

Potential
Well, found out about the existence of a Shakespeare book I don't; have down south, namely Shylock: The Legend and The Legacy. Want. Added to my list of purchase propositions.

Altoz

Potential
Well, I found Emphryio okay, but the Three Stigmata was the same edition that I've got, so I changed my mind and brought Stephen Baxter's AU The H-Bomb Girl instead (it's set around October 1962 at the time of the Cuban Missile Crisis on our Earth. However, several quantum variations away, the Cold War suddenly became blazing hot...) Elsewhere on my reading list, I found a copy of the excellent Afghan War Overview The Forty Years War in Afghanistan. Tomorrow, I might buy a copy of the puzzle murder mystery book Cain's Jawbone.

Plasma

Be excellent to each other, and party on dudes! ❤️
Staff member
Not a whole lot of actual “book” books that have been added to my library lately. A Star Wars novel and Penn Jillette’s “God, No!” are all I have to show on that front.

Comic book-wise though, it’s been a busy little bit. Catwoman by Ed Brubaker and The Question by Denny O’Neil both got oversized editions, so I snatched those up. (I love a good crime/noir story! ❤️) I also bought the hardcovers of Image’s Deadly Class series, which is about a secret academy that teaches the children of serial killers, cartel bosses, etc. how to be the most dangerous people alive. Really excited to dig into that! I also read Y The Last Man’s first compendium and am looking to snag the second one. Highly recommend this sci-fi dystopia series :)

Black Thorn
I want to buy new buffy and angel comics. Trying to find a cheap website

Plasma
Plasma
Good luck! I don’t know much in the UK that would help

Altoz

Potential
Oh, and Kobo Abe's Man in the Box, a surrealist novel about a guy who ends up in one- and stays there. Okay, my cat has just acquired a puzzled expression about why humans would want to do that after I read it to him, given how much felines enjoy it. And are his boxes safe from humans who might want to squat in them?

Altoz

Potential
And a long-term order- Rob Gluck's Margery Kempe, in which the lives of a contemporary young gay man and a lachrymose and persistent nuisance of a medieval female Christian mystic get interwoven, to interesting effect. Hopefully, it should arrive here in a month.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
I just finished "The CHUM Story" by Allen Farrell from its early and uninteresting beginnings in 1945 to its decision to become the first rock-and-roll station in Toronto in 1957 to the zany contests and promotions they ran, all showing extreme creativity and the accompanying mental pathology of their originators. One example is Mabel Leaf, the CHUM witch who was at the Toronto Maple Leafs hockey games in 1964. Coach Punch Imlach was very superstitious and he noted that Toronto won when she was there and lost when she wasn't, so he demanded she be at all games in the playoff run of 1964. It must have worked - Toronto won the Stanley Cup that year but CHUM had to get her to the away games and make sure she could operate there.

This book was great nostalgia for me and it has earned its place beside my copy of Cousin Brucie, My Life in Rock 'n' Roll Radio" amd all of us who went through the rock music revolution could use a story of what made radio great back when it actually was great.

Altoz

Potential
All three of the above (Slan, Abe and Laundrette) are now in my hands, along with a copy of the eighties dyke noir Jane DeLynn novel Don Juan in the City. It's one of those weird serendipity things, in which a book materialises just days after I first read about it. I'm currently debating with myself whether or not to buy a copy of the complete poems of Baudelaire- the problem being that the Flowers of Evil just aren't as transgressive today as they must have seemed in the nineteenth century and frankly, some of them should have been downgraded to the Flowers of Very Bad Naughtiness. Fortunately, there's a copy back home, so what I think I might do is just photocopy out the poems that I do like. Also, the Strugatsky brothers The Inhabited Island. Apart from some of Stanislaw Lem and Adam Wisniewski-Snerg, I don't really respond to Russian or Eastern European SF very much. So, no joy there either and I don't think I'll buy it.

Last edited:
Black Thorn
I found a site called Music Magpie and can get a few Buffy books from there but there is no comics.

Altoz

Potential
Forthcoming- I decided to buy the Baudelaire after all, as well as Roger Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber. Also a copy of Jon Morris' The Legion of Regrettable Sidekicks, which is waiting for me at home base when I get back from my business trip in two days time. Been after that one for ages!

Kendar

Potential
Do you really read all those books in a single week, @Altoz ? I thought I was an avid reader and here I’m lucky to finish one a week 😭
I can easily believe that. I'm a natural speed reader (CAN'T turn it off) and on a normal week I read 5-6 books (avg, 350-400 pages). it's great for studying and work situations, but sucks when it comes to pleasure reading. If I wanted to spend a week on the beach reading I'd need probably 20 books. Thank Zeus for my iPad and Kindle app. I can haul @4k books with me everywhere.

Altoz

Potential
Okay. Couldn't find the Baudelaire or Zelazny at the book shop in question, so I've decided to buy the Strugatsky bros Inhabited Island and Dennis Cooper's Wrong instead. Also heading back to the same shop for the Kobo Abe book Face of Another. Here's hoping! Still have Regrettable Sidekicks waiting for me at home base.

Altoz

Potential
Next week's book- Land of Laughs. Was pleasantly surprised to find copies of Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber and M.John Harrison's Virconium at second hand bookshop on Thursday, which I promptly brought.

TriBel

Scooby
This week: Fragments of a History of the Human Body
I was tempted by this (looks Foucault influenced - didn't Michel Feher edit a collection of Foucault's essays?) but in the end I spent £120 on Vertigo's Lucifer Omnibuses (Mike Carey) - more pictures ;) . Kinda driven to it by Netflix's Sandman but I wish they were a partner to Absolute Sandman.

Top Bottom