• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Buffy-Boards Book Club: Slayer - Kiersten White - Sign Up thread!

Taake

I do doodle. You too. You do doodle, too.
Staff member
Black Thorn
EDIT: Because the book release of January 2019 was only for the US, this book club has been postponed until the end of February. We want as many of you as possible to be able to join and thank those who already got their book, for their patience. :)

Hey guys, this is a bit early because - as some of you may know - the book hasn't been released yet.
But I thought I'd start a sign up for the next book club which is Kiersten White's "Slayer" so you know it's down the pipeline.
slayer-9781534404953_lg.jpg
This book is set in the Buffyverse which makes it... not a reboot, but something brand new from the -verse at least. For those interested, this is the basic rundown of the book.

From New York Times bestselling author Kiersten White comes a brand-new series set in the world of Buffy the Vampire Slayer that introduces a new Slayer as she grapples with the responsibility of managing her incredible powers that she’s just beginning to understand.

Into every generation a Slayer is born…

Nina and her twin sister, Artemis, are far from normal. It’s hard to be when you grow up at the Watcher’s Academy, which is a bit different from your average boarding school. Here teens are trained as guides for Slayers—girls gifted with supernatural strength to fight the forces of darkness. But while Nina’s mother is a prominent member of the Watcher’s Council, Nina has never embraced the violent Watcher lifestyle. Instead she follows her instincts to heal, carving out a place for herself as the school medic.

Until the day Nina’s life changes forever.

Thanks to Buffy, the famous (and infamous) Slayer that Nina’s father died protecting, Nina is not only the newest Chosen One—she’s the last Slayer, ever. Period.

As Nina hones her skills with her Watcher-in-training, Leo, there’s plenty to keep her occupied: a monster fighting ring, a demon who eats happiness, a shadowy figure that keeps popping up in Nina’s dreams…
But it’s not until bodies start turning up that Nina’s new powers will truly be tested—because someone she loves might be next.

One thing is clear: Being Chosen is easy. Making choices is hard.

I for one am very interested in seeing where they are going with this last Slayer ever thing, if you are as well, then the book is released on January 8th 2019, the book club will start towards the end of January.

Let us know in this thread if you are interested in joining! :)

Last edited:
stuoz
stuoz
Im in 😁

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
I would like to, but I can't really make any promises right now. It does sound interesting, though, and one of my 2019 goals is to read more books, since I only read 2 this year :)

Taake
Taake
Now it's in your head, so think it over till later :)

Last Watcher

Tweed Icon
Sineya
Yeah, I'll be reading it at some point so might as well read it with company :)

Count me in....

Could someone gave me a prod when the book is available....I tend to miss these things :oops:

Taake
Taake
One cattle prodding ordered!
ChaseRules
ChaseRules
You don't already have one Taake ?

ItMustBeBunnies

Bugger off, you brolly!
Sineya
I'm in :)

I read the first book in Kiersten White's The Conqueror's Saga series, which I liked but I haven't managed to get around to the last two books in the series yet.

I'm constantly reading but I keep choosing other novels over her stuff. But, I will definitely make this one a priority :) I hope its good! :)

Taake

Staff member
Black Thorn
I'm in :)

I read the first book in Kiersten White's The Conqueror's Saga series, which I liked but I haven't managed to get around to the last two books in the series yet.

I'm constantly reading but I keep choosing other novels over her stuff. But, I will definitely make this one a priority :) I hope its good! :)

I haven't read any of her stuff before, but she seems fairly popular so it'll be interesting to see what her style is like. How have you found her writing and world building to be? :)

ItMustBeBunnies

Bugger off, you brolly!
Sineya
I haven't read any of her stuff before, but she seems fairly popular so it'll be interesting to see what her style is like. How have you found her writing and world building to be? :)

I read And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga #1) over a year ago, so it is a little bit fuzzy for me (I've ready many many books since then :) ) But from what I remember, it was well done. I didn't like it as much as some of the rave reviews I read, but it was a very well built story. In a nutshell, its an alternate history, set in Transylvania at the height of the Ottoman Empire with a female Vlad the Impaler, which made me curious enough to give it a try. There was no vampire/Dracula stuff (at least in the first book) it was more about power and politics and there was a nice focus on a brother/sister relationship from what I remember.

I believe its classified as YA, however, unlike a lot of YA, it did not talk down to its audience. There was some romance but there was no damn love triangle which was a relief. And the main character was a pretty unapologetic anti-hero.

So even though I have only read the one thing from Kiersten, and the finer details are blurry to me now, when I saw that she was the one who had written Slayer, it made me hopeful :)

Last edited:
Taake
Taake
YA book with no love triangle? I feel like this a small miracle

Taake

Staff member
Black Thorn
I’m thinking the ebook, I’d prefer a real book but turns out the Europe release date for that is January 21st, not the 7th (as for the US). So getting the Kindle edition feels smoother :)

ItMustBeBunnies

Bugger off, you brolly!
Sineya
Awww crap. I just had a look and apparently the kindle version and the paperback are both not out here until February so I guess I can't join in :(

ItMustBeBunnies

Bugger off, you brolly!
Sineya
Apparently it comes out for kindle on the 21st of February.

I've had a look at a few different bookstore sites, one does say that the hardcopy is out on the 21st of January, and all of the others give a vague Jan 2019 or Feb 2019 date. I guess I will just have to keep an eye on it. Maybe I possibly could end up being able to join in with you :)

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Well if it means more people read it in proper form rather than on the evil kindle that is sweet justice!

ItMustBeBunnies

Bugger off, you brolly!
Sineya
Amazon says that the Kindle version comes out on Jan 8th. MMPB comes out when it actually hits the mass market.

I'm looking at Amazon Australia which says the 21st of Feb. I don't think I can get the Kindle version from the US Amazon site.

@Spanky - Yeah, I know. But for the most part, when I get the ebook, it has been released on the same day as the US. Oh well, I'll just have to wait and see if I can get my hands on a hardcopy sooner than that.

Last edited:
S
Spanky
Different parts of the world gets it at different times.
Top Bottom