• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Buffy-Boards Newsletter - Issue 16 - July/August 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flannen

Flannix
NewsletterbannerRevamped.jpg

Good day to you all, and welcome to another issue of the BB Newsletter! And a huge welcome back to BB after its beautiful facelift and change around. So, what's changed around these parts? Keep reading for all the details filling you in on anything you've missed!

Are you new to BB and reading the newsletter for the very first time? If you are, its good to have you! This here newsletter is here to keep all of you informed about what's going on at BB with the board itself, as well as helping you get to know some of your new board mates!

If you enjoyed the read, which we know you will, then please pop on over to our Newsletter Feedback thread and tell us what you thought and see the Buffy Boards News Archive for all the past issues if you'd like to have a catch up!

Welcome Back!

To kick us off this issue, we'd like to welcome back some staff members:

Faith has returned to her administrator position after taking some time off, it's great to have you back! Oz (formerly FunkyMunky) and Willow Rosenberg (formerly edb) are also back as administrators and it is these three along with Darla (formerly Buffy Summers) who have given the board such a wonderful face lift! A huge thank you to all of them for all the hard work they put in over the week that the board was down!

On a side note, this brings back our very own Core Four of BB! These were the four admins who started Buffy-Boards over eight years ago, and it's awesome to have them back together again!

We'd also like to offer congratulations to Emzzie who is our newest moderator! Emzzie will be in charge of links, spreading the word about BB! Welcome to the staff and good luck in your new position, we know you'll do a wonderful job!

To find out a little more about Oz, Willow Rosenberg and Emzzie, as well as our other staff members check out our Meet the Staff thread for all those fun little facts.

Also for those of you who might be interested: under Member Community we now have a list of all previous staff members. So if you're curious to see everyone who has given their time and support to BB, head on over and take a peek here!

New Members

On behalf of all our staff and members, we would like to extend another huge "˜Welcome!' to all those who have joined our community since our last issue. It's really great to have you and we're hope you're getting comfy settling in!

NewmemberJulAug.jpg

For those of you who may still be feeling a little overwhelmed, there a few things that can help you out. First, be sure to check out our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) which provides you with lots of information about our rules, as well as giving you a helping hand if you run into any problems.

After browsing through that, there are a few other useful stops you may wish to check out:

• Bad Eggs: We all need a little help from time to time, so who best to help you than your very own personal guide to BB? Get yourself adopted by an existing member and they will show you the ropes, answer any questions and generally take care of you as you settle in. Pop into the forum Bad Eggs and start a thread asking for someone to adopt you and someone will snap you up!
  • The Sorting Tome: Pay a visit to the great and mysterious Sorting Tome and get sorted into one of our Dormitories! Once the Tome has posted of your fate, you will find yourself given access to a new part of the forum for you and your fellow dorm mates. It's a great way to meet members and get to know them in a smaller, cosier part of the board.
  • Angel Investigations: If you still find yourself with unanswered questions after reading through the FAQ, then this is your next stop. Have a browse through the forum and see if other people have already asked your question and find your answer and if you still need to know something then start a thread in Angel Investigations and we will answer it ASAP. Please also remember that we have a Confidential Member Concerns Area that you can post in if you would like to keep your enquiry private. Only you and the Board Staff will be able to view it.

Meet the Newbie: Introducing one of our latest Potentials

Now we've got the housekeeping out of the way, we'd like to introduce you to one of our newer members who joined up in July. Raiden's msfantastico87 is a Tara fan, who has a very interesting internship and love for BB members fan art. She has kindly agreed to answer a few questions for us, so we shall pass you over:

Hey msfantastico87! How did you find BB? And what were your first thoughts about it?

Lets see, I had been trying to find a board for a while to unleash my nerdy side, but ended up forgetting about it completely. It wasn't until i did a full BtVS rewatch on netflix that it reminded me. I ended up searching in google. and found BB *the oldest Buffy fan Forum on the web* Can you say intimidating?!* I was afraid I wouldn't know enough about Buffy since the board has been around for years lol

Where can you usually be found hanging out? (e.g which forum/s do you frequent most?)

You will almost always catch me in Joyce's Gallery. I have no talent when it comes to fanart. So I go there to see wonderful pieces of art made by some pretty awesome people. It makes me smile :) It's also nice to see that some people have a similar vision as I would have if I were to make one. other than that you can find me reading old posts or posting in new ones :)

Hopefully soon some of our members will start inspiring your own talent, everyone's got some somewhere! Do you have a favourite character from the Buffyverse?

Man this has always been a tough question for me to answer. My top females are Faith, Anya, Willow, Cordy and Tara. Although I think my #1 is Tara. For males they are Giles, Xander, Spike, Angelus, Andrew and Oz. My top guy would have to be Giles. Now I'm a total lesbo but that man is devilishly charming and sexy!!!!;):D:p

Giles is certainly a charmer! Have you watched both Angel and Buffy and if you have which do you prefer?

I watched Buffy 3 times, although I don't really count the time it was on air as one since I missed a lot of episodes then. I just started season 5 of Angel. So far I'm leaning more towards Buffy. I really do love Angel but the second half of season 4 really pissed me off...WTH with the whole Jasmine thing?! seriously!. The only main thing that upset me about Buffy was the episode "Seeing Red" for obvious reasons. That was the beginning of horribleness IMO. Season 7 really sucked, although it had some great episodes. But anyways...Buffy. That's my answer and I'm sticking to it :)

Speaking of...If you could change one thing from any episode of BtVS what it would be?

It's funny that you ask this lol I was having a conversation about this with a fellow BB member yesterday through Twitter. One of Twitters trending topics was #ifihadonewish. I ended up wishing that Anya would grant my wish to have Tara alive and put Kennedy in her place instead. PEOPLE!!!! We did not need Kennedy! ewww! Season 7 would have been so much better without her...*sigh*

Moving a little off topic now. What other TV shows do you like to watch?

Oh boy....the list beings....
Dexter, Dollhouse, Firefly, Tru Calling, Rising Star, Sonny with a Chance, That's so Raven, old school Nickelodeon shows like Doug and Hey Arnold, South Park, The Simpsons, Family Guy, Roswell, True Blood, Scrubs, WEEDS!!!!!, the L Word, Spartacus, Cake Boss, The Office, Xena, Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles....the list goes on and on...so I'll stop here lol

So aside from television watching, what's an average day like in the life of msfantastico87?

Well let's see. I live in Orlando, FL. So since I have Disney World 15 minutes away, Sea World 10 minutes away, and Universal Studios 5 minutes away, my mornings are either spent there or running errands (lately the latter). I work nights at *insert failling movie rental chain here*. Fridays are usually saved up so I can intern at a lab by the beach. I'm an interning marine biologist and study sea turtles and Dolphin behavior. Weekends are for whatever. Movies, theme parks, clubbing, or being lazy and staying home to snuggle with my cat :)

You're so lucky to be so close to so many awesome things! Thank you very much for a fabulous interview msfantastico87!

Board News

What's Changed?

Please read the Welcome Back! thread for all the new changes to the board since its return, such as the new forums that have been added, and the new homes of the Off Topic forums and the Dormitories. Also be sure to refamilarise yourself with the Rules/FAQ.

We are also pleased to announce that the Board Chat [#buffyboards] has been officially re-opened. It is very important that you read the thread Darla has directed you to in the Welcome Back thread that can be found here: Board Chat Re-Opened.

Calling for Volunteers!

We're looking for some members to help out with recaps for Dollhouse, BtvS Season 8 and Angel: After the Fall. So, if you've got some free time, or would just like an excuse to re-watch/re-read these series then take a look at the thread here for a little more information on what we need and some links to the style of recaps that we're looking for.

Share your 'Verse Writings!

The BB Articles forum is no longer by invitation only. Now, we know there are some aspiring writers out there amongst you, so we'd love for you to share some of your 'Verse articles/essays with us. It's a great way to take the first step into getting your work read and discussed. As always, check out the thread: BB Articles Forum and don't forget that all articles will need to be approved by a moderator first! :)

Episode Discussion Group Revamp!

We're trying something new with the Episode Discussion Groups and we're looking for members to volunteer to be Group Leaders of discussions.

Every week a new group leader will lead a discussion on a topic of their choice. They will post their topic in a closed thread and give everyone else a week to watch the necessary episode(s) before the group leader kicks off the discussion.

If you'd like to have a go at leading a discussion, visit the Group Leader Sign Ups and sign yourself up. If it's something you think you might be interested in but not sure how it all works, spend a couple of weeks scoping out how other group leaders do it and see if it suits you before volunteering.

So there you are, lots to be getting to your teeth into around BB!

Quote of the Month
There must be hundreds upon thousands of posts made every month (maybe even every day) here on BB discussing anything you could care to imagine, and more! Each month, some posts jump out amongst the others, for being particularly well written or thought provoking, and here are our picks from the last couple of months:

For July:
Posted by Blixten in the thread I Like Connor:

There was a thread about another character that I discussed in a couple of days ago that I thought was really interesting. In this thread a person said that this characters pain was insignificant to the other characters and that he didn't change fast enough, therefore this person didn't forgive/liked him. One of the argument the person gave for this was that as I understood it that the character was just a fictional one and therefore you could judge him in a way you couldn't judge a real person. I don't agree with this argument at all, and think it's the reason I like Connor so much. One of the reasons I really like Joss' shows is because I always felt that the characters were very real (well, maybe not Jasmine :)) and they didn't always act the way tv characters are supposed to act (rational/"taking the high road"): they where more like real humans (acting driven by there emotions/hearts), and I've always loved that. For example: Willow, going bad after Taras death, Spike being really unhappily in love with Buffy but still not letting go, or Buffy making really bad relationship decisions. Connor had a really hard life, and I don't blame him for going over the edge. Any person would, and I don't think it's fair if we would judge him compared to the other charcaters who may have delt with their pain "better". Everybody's different. It was the most heartbreaking thing when you found out that he had known how Jasmine had looked like all along, but so desperately wanting to be part of something that he didn't care. I'm with Darla on this one: I can see the confusion and hatred in Connor, but mostly I just see the godness in his heart and what he wished he could be. How could I not love him then? :)

and posted by Marisa in Character Development: Wesley:

Wesley may be a character that grew the most out of both shows. He started off as a pansy watcher not to be mean. Then he crossed over to Angel and was a "rogue demon hunter" but he was still the same Wesley. Over time with the people of AI he changed. He became more confident in himself. He had reason to change. His loyalty was tested. I think one of the things that was best about him was his dark period. He wasn't completely dark to me he was just struggling. He started a relationship with Lilah and by the end you could tell he cared. That showed a lot about Wesley to me. The fact that a man that almost saw black and white on Buffy could care for a woman like Lilah who is supposed to be the face of evil in a sense.

Another thing was his relationship with Angel. They had a bond out of all the guys I think they had a deep mutual respect. This helped to change Wesley and helped him grow. He saw things differently. I enjoyed that.

Overall his love for Fred and the friends played a big part. Wesley became a very useful part to the AI team. They needed him he needed them. I think this had a lot to do with how he changed over the years. By the end of the finale Wesley was one of my favorite character because he wasn't one note he actually evolved. Wesley became what he always wanted a rogue demon hunter ;) couldn't resist had to add that.

And from August:

posted by Chocoslayer in Willow/Oz vs. Willow/Tara:

Well, it's all very weird to me because when she was with Oz, I just couldn't imagine her with anyone else, and when she is with Tara, I kind of forget Oz! I think Oz is just the sweetest thing!
As I am myself a kind of a very weird little nerdy geek, I related to Willow. I always felt like I needed to change who I was to find a boyfriend (19 years old, never had a boyfriend, unbelievable!).
And you know, Willow was a big nerd but she stayed true to herself, she never tried to change to be as cool as the others. And Oz sees her for the first time, in her Eskimau costume and he falls under her spell.
The way he acts with her before they even date is already extremely sweet, and when he tells her in the van that he wants her to kiss him because she wants to and not to make Xander jealous, and that he is ready to wait...It just shows how much respectful he is to her.
He could "take advantage" but he never does, he loves everything about Willow and that is really beautiful.
Plus, I think he was essential to Willow's evolution, because he loved her for who she was, it helped her gain self-confidence.
He is really the kind of boyfriend I wish I had!

Then he leaves, I felt as sad as Willow because I was always in awe just by looking at them!

To read full post please see the thread!*

And finally, posted by dan k in So, why did Angel want Lindsey killed?:

Angel knew that to stay afloat he needed to make tough decisions such as killing Drogyn otherwise he wouldn't be able to con the senior partners. He didn't want to kill Drogyn but he thought it was a sacrifice needed in order for the greater good. Some people will say it is wrong and fundamentally it is but on the other hand what would have happened if he decided against killing Drogyn?

As Spike said there is always casualties in war and Angel decided Drogyn was an acceptable casualty. What gives him the right to decide? Well he is the leader and just like Buffy it was down to him to make the tough decisions. People say Buffy didn't have the strength to kill Ben well Angel differed in the fact that he did have that strength and cold hearted nature needed.

Thank you for all those insightful posts, they were great to read! Everyone keep those awesome posts coming and may you'll find one of yours here next issue!

Member Recognition

As always, as we draw to a close it's time to reveal those of you that the staff have chosen to recognise this month.

For our new readers, this is the part of the newsletter, where we take the time to acknowledge those members of BB who have shown respect to their fellow members, helped to keep a friendly environment and generally consistently had an awesome attitude around the board. So, congratulations to:

Our New Member of the Month for July 2010:

NmotmJuly.jpg

and our Member of the Month:

MotmJuly.jpg

and for for the month of August:

Our New Member of the Month is:

NMOTMAugust.jpg

and finally, our Member of the Month is:

MOTMaugust2.jpg

Congratulations and thank you to you all for being such great members of the community! Keep up your fantastic attitudes!

And that just about brings us to the end of this issue! Apart from reminding all our Evil League of Evil members that lurk around these parts, to not miss this little event: The Evil League of Evil Villain's Ball! :D

We've hope you've enjoyed reading and don't forget to check out how you can help out on the Boards in the coming months!

Until the next issue, be safe, take care of yourselves and happy posting!

https://www.buffy-boards.com/showthread.php?t=39022&page=12

Old Master 3.0
Old Master 3.0
Well done.
MandaMeena
MandaMeena
good lord, that was surprising!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom