• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Buffy-Boards Newsletter - Issue 18 - November/December 2010

Taake

I do doodle. You too. You do doodle, too.
Staff member
Black Thorn
NewsletterheaderNovDec2.jpg

Happy Holidays all BB'ers! Hope you are all well and welcome to another issue of the BB Newsletter!

Are you new to BB and reading the newsletter for the very first time? If you are, its good to have you! This here newsletter is here to keep all of you informed about what's going on at BB with the board itself, as well as helping you get to know some of your new board mates!

If you enjoyed the read, which we know you will, then please pop on over to our Newsletter Feedback thread and tell us what you thought and see the Buffy Boards News Archive for all the past issues if you'd like to have a catch up!

For those of you who are curious about the staff on the board go to Meet the Staff thread for all those fun little facts. There is also list under Member Community of all previous staff members. So if you're curious to see everyone who has given their time and support to BB, head on over and take a peek here!

New Members

On behalf of all our staff and members, we would like to extend another huge "˜Welcome!' to all those who have joined our community since our last issue. It's really great to have you and we're hope you're getting comfy settling in!

NewMemNoDeSOfar.jpg

For those of you who may still be feeling a little overwhelmed, there a few things that can help you out. First, be sure to check out our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) which provides you with lots of information about our rules, as well as giving you a helping hand if you run into any problems.

After browsing through that, there are a few other useful stops you may wish to check out:

• Bad Eggs: We all need a little help from time to time, so who best to help you than your very own personal guide to BB? Get yourself adopted by an existing member and they will show you the ropes, answer any questions and generally take care of you as you settle in. Pop into the forum Bad Eggs and start a thread asking for someone to adopt you and someone will snap you up!
  • The Sorting Tome: Pay a visit to the great and mysterious Sorting Tome and get sorted into one of our Dormitories! Once the Tome has posted of your fate, you will find yourself given access to a new part of the forum for you and your fellow dorm mates. It's a great way to meet members and get to know them in a smaller, cosier part of the board.
  • Angel Investigations: If you still find yourself with unanswered questions after reading through the FAQ, then this is your next stop. Have a browse through the forum and see if other people have already asked your question and find your answer and if you still need to know something then start a thread in Angel Investigations and we will answer it ASAP. Please also remember that we have a Confidential Member Concerns Area that you can post in if you would like to keep your enquiry private. Only you and the Board Staff will be able to view it.

Meet the Newbie: Introducing one of the latest Potentials: Username, a Raiden-girl and a Tillow-fan who used to have a crush on Alyson Hannigan and got hooked during BtVs season 4...

1. Hello there Username! For how long have you been a Buffy fan and what about the show captured your interest?
Hey, I've been a Buffy fan for nearly 7 years, I had a mad crush on Alyson Hannigan after seeing her in American Pie 2 and I saw that she was on Buffy so I was watching it after school one day and I loved the comedy and the dialogue.

2. How did you find your way to BB? And what were your first thoughts about it?
I don't remember, I was looking for a Buffy forum I came here and it looked good and I started reading saturn5's 'ep by ep' posts which are awesome and it just made me want to see more.

3. Have you watched any other Whedon shows? (Angel, Dr. Horrible, Firefly...) And do you have a favorite amongst them?
Yes, I've seen most of it, but aside from Btvs my favorite Whedon show is Angel.

4. If you could live the life of one of the Whedon characters for one day "“ which character would you choose and why?
I'm not sure, I don't think I would like to be anyone, I would really like to know what it's like to be vampire for a day though, a vampire with a soul.

5. Where on the boards can you usually be found hanging out?

I don't know I think I'm a little bit everywhere, but you will never find me in some sort of 'Kennedy appreciation thread'!

6. What does an ordinary day look like to you?

I wake up early, put my headphones on and go to school, I actually like going to school cos I love the classes I'm taking, religion and history, and I try to do my homework but a lot of time goes to watching crappy horrormovies :D and obviously Buffy and sometimes videogames. Right now I'm addicted to this stupid game on my computer called L Tris, it's so lame but I can't stop!

Thank you so much to Username for taking the time to answer our questions :)

Board News

BB Raffle

RaffeWinners.jpg

Big congratulations to these two members for each winning a beautifully crafted Word of Valios, click Here! for more information

BB Store

'Tis the season... find all your Christmas present needs fullfilled at the BB-store. This year two special holiday designs are on the offer, so find your iPhone accessories or stickers here cafepress.com/buffyboards!

Banner Competition - Holiday Edition

For third round of the boards banner competition a holiday theme seemed in order. A stunning assortment of banners from our skillful members were entered into the contest.

With three finalists the staff voted for their favorites and here we have the two runner's up:

2. HisMrs - Deck the Halls

Comp2nd.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/BrittD379/buffy/deckthehalls1.jpg

Congratulations HisMirs, 75 house points for you :)

3. Xaphania - Christmas Kisses
Comp3rd.jpg

bbxmaschallenge2-anim.gif

Congratulations Xaphania, 50 house points for you :)

And the winner of this competition - featured in the newsletter - as well as the winner of a 100 house points is... (see bottom of the page ;P)

To follow the competition go here Holiday Competition

Board Changes
Some reminders from the previous board changes, there is the Welcome Back! thread for all the new changes to the board since its return, such as the new forums that have been added, and the new homes of the Off Topic forums and the Dormitories. Also be sure to refamilarise yourself with the Rules/FAQ..

The Board Chat [[HASHTAG]#buffyboards[/HASHTAG]] is still officially re-opened. It is very important that you read the thread Darla has directed you to in the Welcome Back thread that can be found here: Board Chat Re-Opened.​

Shine a Light​

This month we're shining a light on two Jossverse topics

1.Glenn Quinn "“ remembered...
In 2002 beloved actor Glenn Quinn who portrayed "Doyle" in Angel's first season passed away. We would like to honor this man who may be long but not forgotten:

GQInMemorian.jpg

"I honestly am not in the greatest position to talk about it yet, only because I'm still grieving over it. That's the real Big Bad." - David Boreanaz on Glenn Quinn

To you BB-ers here are 7 questions about this Irish actor, send your answers to me and the winner will be announce in the next newsletter.
1.In Ireland as a teenager Glenn was a bit of musician "“ what was the name of his band?
2.One of Glenn's first jobs was to appear in a music video "“ what music video and by what artist?
3.What did Glenn do on the side of acting in the later years of his life?
4.What Charmed actress did Glenn work with?
5.At what age did Glenn leave Ireland?
6.What are the names of his siblings?
7.What was one the first things Glenn said about being cast on Angel?

2. SHINE A LIGHT II - Buffy Lives?
Buffylives2.jpg

Buffy back on the big screen? The internet has been set into flames with the news that Whit Andreson is creating a screenplay for a new "Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie"... without the involvement of Joss Whedon. There's a strong fanbase yearning for a movie it is said "“ what do you think? Head on over to these forums Buffy Movie, Buffy Movie Discussion, "Marti Noxon on Buffy reboot"to either read what others said or share your thoughts on this development "“ a Buffy movie "“ yay or nay?

Or if you feel passionate about there's even a petition to sign against this new launch, go here!

Jossverse quote:
'My concern with a film is, how can we do it justice? We went out on top, and I like staying there. That doesn't mean I won't change my mind. I'm a woman. It's my prerogative to change my mind as often as I like!' (- Sarah Michelle Gellar on 'Buffy movie project', 2004)

Quote of the Month

There must be hundreds upon thousands of posts made every month (maybe even every day) here on BB discussing anything you could care to imagine, and more! Each month, some posts jump out amongst the others, for being particularly well written or thought provoking, and here are our picks from the last couple of months:

ForNovember
Posted by Kean in Does being a Slayer make your a leader?:

No, it doesn't. I think we saw this demonstrated rather well by Kendra (who didn't act unless she was told to) and by Faith (who did not care for leadership). We see it even more with the potentials turned slayers: they, most certainly, are not all leaders.

The reason Buffy was the leader is because she carved out that role for herself. It is often overlooked how brilliant a strategist Buffy was. On top of that she was brave and willing to take on the responsibility of her calling in a way that previous slayers had not done before. If she was going to be the Champion for humanity, it was going to be on her terms. Even during the Cruciamentum she took it upon herself, as weak human, to save her mother and take on that vamp in his house of horrors.

It was her supreme "Buffyness" that made her a leader. Not her slayerness. That was just an added bonus.

Posted by SlayerOfVampyrs in Please God, I hope this never happens:
Okay, onto 'Buffy,' you can't do anything BtVS without Joss. It can't be done properly, or at all. In the original Buffy movie, they pushed Joss to the side, totally effed with his ideas, and we were left with the steaming pile of cow dung we have now.

The Slayer Lore thing, I don't think, would work in film format at all. There's too much there to introduce and cover, that I just don't think that a film will be enough to bring new life into the series. ASH (Anthony Stewart Head) said it very, very well: "I wouldn't want to see it, no. The bottom line is if a movie was ever to be made, it should be made with Joss Whedon, whether it's a retrospective or not. The Kuzuis have the rights to because they have the rights to the original movie, but it should be interesting to see. It may be a bit like watching a car wreck."

All they want is more money, it is all coming to spawn because of this Twilight craze. Which is hilarious, because Twilight was spawned from several vampirical predecessors, which 'Buffy' WAS apart of. Edward/Bella couldn't possibly be more Buffy and Angel, just without a lot of the depth. It isn't coming out of an undying love for Buffy the Vampire Slayer, it isn't coming out of the fans demands for a screen BtVS project, it's coming out of the love of money, and that is one of the many reasons this will fail. 'Buffy' was always a labor of love, it wasn't done for money, or recognition, or anything of the like. It was always EVERYTHING that every TV show wasn't, it was never boring or predictable; Creating a new up-to-date 'Buffy' will destroy Joss' vision, and is an utter slap and spit in the face of everyone who ever worked on the masterpiece that is 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer.'

For December:

Posted by Mindfiend in Episode discussion 2.13 - "Epitath two":

https://www.buffy-boards.com/showpost.php?p=887170&postcount=45

I think you missed a major plot turn here.

Topher didn't heroically sacrifice himself; he couldn't live with the realization of the monster he'd been and what his hubris had done to the world and so committed suicide.

Do you really think that a man smart enough to create mind altering technology, to wipe people's brains with the pull of a trigger, couldn't think how to set off a switch remotely? Of course he could. Adelle saw that, but also that this was a course of action he needed to take. That's one of the reasons for the sadness on her face.

The wonderful thing about Topher, who is truly my favourite character in Dollhouse, is that he was a monster, but didn't know he was a monster. He genuinely thought he was helping the actives overcome serious psychological issues, not putting them through degradation, rape and enslavement. The deep horror of what the dollhouse was, and what it stood for, is that it couched itself in a wholesome light, pretending to "give people what they wanted, or needed." Topher, a social innocent in many ways, fell for this deceit. He was manipulated, sure, but that doesn't excuse or forgive the brutality of what he did on a daily basis.

Topher is a modern day Victor Von Frankenstein, so lost in the wonders of science and the intellectual challenges it brings that all he asked is "if he could" and never "if he should."

I adore him.

Posted by Himiko in Buffy ep by ep; EMPTY PLACES - bootyshaking & heartbreaking:

I do, however, have opinions on some of the criticisms levelled at the others, and the "praise"/whatever of Buffy that I've seen on this thread, that I will try and explain without so much bias :p

- "General Buffy" It has been established several times in the show how different Buffy is from most "normal" Slayers, how she has a support network of family and friends, and how that is part of why she has stayed alive as long as she has- she has people who are there for her, she has a normal life to fight for, and she can think outside the box. The Watcher's Council are frequently lambasted throughout the show for advocating the very opposite view, that the Slayer is essentially the tool of the Watcher's Council, and is just a soldier, if you will.

Now, these Potentials arrive, and yes, a lot of them have probably had some training, but they have no Slayer powers at all, as Buffy had when she began battling apocalypses, they have, with exceptions like Amanda, been moved away from their family, friends, and even country, in a lot of cases, away from everything they know. And instead of taking her own experiences into account, Buffy treats them like "just soldiers", she calls the girl who commits suicide weak (been a while since I saw Season 7, so I'm a bit fuzzy on names), she gives never ending rounds of speeches, and that's pretty much it. Yes, I'm sure it would have been harder for her to learn their names, get to know them, and then see them die. But I'm sure as hell the alternative wasn't any easier for them.

-Faith/Potential bonding- As far as them going to the Bronze goes, yes, they were at war, yes, they should take it seriously, but they were also frightened, probably pretty depressed after heavy losses, and perhaps one night of normalcy and fun would have been more useful and morale boosting than another lecture from Buffy at that point.

-Buffy and her friends- Yes, we've seen The Wish. We know that without Buffy, Sunnydale went to hell, Willow and Xander were vampires, etc. And what happened to Buffy, the warrior, the business-like Slayer who seemed far more battle-focused and lonely than the Buffy we know? Oh, yeah, she handled it fine, not like she ended up with the Master snapping her neck and killing her with relative ease... ohwait! OK, that came out a lot more sarcastic than intended XD But still, my point is, that what I took from that episode is, without the setup of Sunnydale as it was (Buffy there, a friendship group there for her), everything there was screwed, including Buffy. Yes, she saved the world, many times, and credit where credit is due. But it is still a relationship of mutual give and take. So yes, I think they did have a perfect right to disagree with her. They've all lost things, helping Buffy in this war against the darkness, and while that wasn't Buffy's fault directly, and whilst they could have left, they stayed loyal, by and large. Giles lost Jenny to Angel, to hurt Buffy, and his job to Wesley. Willow lost Tara because of a stray bullet meant for Buffy, etc.

Also, I do feel the whole thing was handled badly, by all parties involved. Proposing just charging into the site of their biggest defeat, where people had died, and Xander had lost his eye, and then just saying "that's the plan", in front of everyone, that was not well handled. Everyone having a go at Buffy at once, then kicking her out, that was not well handled. What should have happened, was that Buffy should have taken the other "key players" (Giles, Willow, Xander, etc.) aside and told them the plan first, so concerns could be registered in private. The others, equally, should probably have taken Buffy to one side to explain why everyone was so pissed off, and why this might be a bad idea, or even just to have a go at her- if it happened in private, then it might not have opened the floodgates of everyone in the building turning against Buffy.

That said, I think this episode needed to happen. There was a lot of tension in that house in Season 7, I think perhaps it was neccessary for Buffy to realise just how much she had alienated, not only the Potentials, who she doesn't really seem to care for much, but also her close friends. And also for those characters to be able to air their grievances rather than nursing them all the way through the Season, so that when Buffy returns, at least the air is... well, clearer than it would have been, anyway. And Buffy becomes less of an annoying ... woman... than she was previously, IMO.

Member Recognition

As always, as we draw to a close it's time to reveal those of you that the staff have chosen to recognise this month.

For our new readers, this is the part of the newsletter, where we take the time to acknowledge those members of BB who have shown respect to their fellow members, helped to keep a friendly environment and generally consistently had an awesome attitude around the board. So, congratulations to:

New Member of the Month November
NMNovember.jpg

Member of the Month November
MOMNovember.jpg

New Member of the Month December
NMDecember.jpg

Memeber of the Month December
MoMDecember.jpg

Christmas Greetings from around the boards... Who doesn't love a nice Christmas card? Here are some seasonal greetings from a few of your fellow Buffy Boarders... :D
CCcollectiong.jpg

https://www.buffy-boards.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=137
Need some downtime this Christmas, look no further - Introduction to the Watcher Diaries is a great source for some fanfiction from our own BB-members.
In mood for something shorter - go to BB-twitter and tweet it up about what you're doing this season.
http://twitter.com/buffyboards

And now - Coming Soon - to you...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/BrittD379/buffy/fanficcomp.jpg

And now for what you've all been waiting for, the banner competition winner:
EntertainUs - Redemption
Comp1st.jpg

https://www.buffy-boards.com/showthread.php?t=39022&page=12
(Click image to get to the Newsletter Feedback Thread)​

We hope you've enjoyed reading and don't forget to check out how you can help out on the Boards in the coming months!

Until the next issue,Merry Christmas & Happy New Year, be safe, take care of yourselves and happy posting!​

Last edited by a moderator:
HisMrs
HisMrs
AWESOME job on the newsletter, as always!! :D
Angelic Slayer
Angelic Slayer
An exceptionally good newsletter this month Taake, full of lots of warm fuzzies. Great work :)
Washburne
Washburne
Always a joy to read. Good work.
C
Christopher
Really enjoyed reading this :)
R
Ripper666
Great stuff!
Top Bottom