• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Buffy-Boards Newsletter - Issue 22 - April 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flannen

Flannix
HeaderApril.jpg

Howdy peeps! Welcome to the April issue of the BB Newsletter! I hope you all had a fantastic Easter. Speaking of, watch those chocolatey fingers on the newsletter! :D

If you're new to BB and reading for the first time, then have an extra special welcome! The newsletter is here to keep you up-to-date with everything happening on BB as well and celebrating our members!

If you've enjoyed the read of this issue, then please head on over to the Newsletter Feedback thread (link at the bottom of the page) and tell us what you thought. And while you're at it, have a browse through the old issues in the BB News Archive and see what you've missed.

You may also be interested in finding out who our staff members are, as well as some more information about them. You are? Then check out the Meet the Staff thread.

New Members

If you've joined our ranks this month then, on behalf of all the staff and members here, we would like to extend another shiny welcome to each and every one of you! It's great to have you and we hope you've settled in and are looking to stick around.

NewMemberApril.jpg

For those of you who may still be feeling a little overwhelmed, there a few things that can help you out. First, be sure to check out our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) which provides you with lots of information about our rules, as well as giving you a helping hand if you run into any problems.

After browsing through that, there are a few other useful stops you may wish to check out:

• Bad Eggs: We all need a little help from time to time, so who best to help you than your very own personal guide to BB? Get yourself adopted by an existing member and they will show you the ropes, answer any questions and generally take care of you as you settle in. Pop into the forum Bad Eggs and start a thread asking for someone to adopt you and someone will snap you up!
  • The Sorting Tome: Pay a visit to the great and mysterious Sorting Tome and get sorted into one of our Dormitories! Once the Tome has posted of your fate, you will find yourself given access to a new part of the forum for you and your fellow dorm mates. It's a great way to meet members and get to know them in a smaller, cosier part of the board.
  • Angel Investigations: If you still find yourself with unanswered questions after reading through the FAQ, then this is your next stop. Have a browse through the forum and see if other people have already asked your question and find your answer and if you still need to know something then start a thread in Angel Investigations and we will answer it ASAP. Please also remember that we have a Confidential Member Concerns Area that you can post in if you would like to keep your enquiry private. Only you and the Board Staff will be able to view it.

Meet the Newbie: Introducing one of our latest potentials
PotentialApril.jpg

How long have you been a Buffy fan? Tell us your 'Buffy story'!
I've been a buffy fan since about 1999. My friend was already watching it and she was over my house one day when it came on tv and she demanded That I watch it with her. From that day forward I was hooked.

Everybody needs a friend like that! So, how did you come across BB? What did you first think about us?
Well I heard alot about BB from Tabby (lovelovelovix) for weeks before I even thought about joinng. I wasn't going to join because Forums used to confuse me, but Tabby agreed to help me through it, so I joined. When I first joined I didn't think I'd be very active, but once I got more involved, and meet some people, and got sorted, I liked it. It's the first thing I check in the morning, before facebook and email.

Have you embarked on other Whedon show journeys too?
Just Angel. I haven't seen anything else I don't think, but I hope too.

We hope so, too! Out of BtVS and AtS, then, if you could pick one scene to rewrite, what would it be?
If I could pick one scene to rewrite, it would most definitely be Tara's death scene. I would rewrite it to where she didn't die. I just love her character so much. She like the heart or the group. She can put a smile on anyone face. She the understanding out of all of them. She liked everyone, regardless of what happened in their past. She also gets bonus points for being funny.

I'm sure many of our members would agree! Speaking of the Boards, where are we most likely to see you?
You'll mostly likely find me in the Art threads. I love making make banners and stuff.

Another budding BB artist! :) And finally, we've had beautiful weather over here in the UK...how is your ideal summer day spent?
My ideal summer day would be spent riding my horse through the trails and through the creek. I love my horse and that's where 90% of my summer will be spent, with my horse.

Thank you so much for letting us get to know you! :D

Board News

New server, new IRC!
As most of you will know we have recently moved to a new host, and we also now have our own IRC server. As always, you can use the link under Community (Chat) to join us or, if you use an IRC client, update your settings to; server: irc.buffy-boards.com channel: #buffy.

For more information about registering your username see here.

Dorm Competition

YrbookComp.png

The latest of our Interdorm competitions has been announced! Check out this thread: Whedonverse Yearbook Contest for all the info and head on over to your dorm and get in on the planning!

Easter Special

As I thought about a special segment to include in this month's issue, with it being Easter and all, I got to thinking about what we can learn, religious or not, from the Easter story. I started thinking about it being about facing huge obstacles and how we can come back from them.

With this in mind, a few members were prepared to share their experiences, in response to the following questions:
1. What is the hardest thing you have had to face?
2. What gives you the strength to overcome obstacles?
3. And, on the Buffyverse theme, which character would you say you are most like when dealing with difficult situations?

EastergraphicBB.jpg

TaylorSwift
1. I've had to deal with the pain I caused to people I loved and I had to deal with the person I was becoming and didn't like. The worst thing is not being hurt but hurting someone and I had to learn how to find myself again and also,among other things like making amends, to forgive myself...and that is one of the hardest thing I've ever faced.

2. My family and my love...I know that if they're here, I can face everything because they'll always be there for me supporting me and sometimes helping me see through the fog of certain situations. It sounds so simple but that's all you need, really.

3. Don't take this badly guys but probably Dawn...NOT in the sense that I complain and yell but I tend to manifest my feelings, sometimes in rage, like she does...she pours out what she feels that's I do. I never keep things to myself, I couldn't with my persona and behavior so...Dawn without the annoying "Get out,get out, get out" thing.

Carrrrgh
1. The hardest thing I've ever had to face was finding out that my close friend had taken her own life. None of us saw it coming and it happened to quickly we didn't believe it until we talked to her parents. It turned out she was just severely depressed and didn't want to talk about it with anyone. It was last August. She had come home from NYU for the summer and was staying with her parents so they could watch over her and keep her safe. Her parents had gone out to dinner that night and when they came home they found her in her room...it wasn't pleasant. That's the hardest thing I've ever had to deal with, it's a really tough thing to try and reason with, especially when you didn't see it coming.

2. n most cases my family, but with the recent obstacles I've been facing with getting close to finishing college I'm really just thinking about whats on the other side. It's hard now, but it will get way easier when I'm finished and can officially start my career.

3. A few years ago, definitely Dawn when she would get all moody and slam doors. But I've had to grow up pretty quickly in the last few years and I feel I've matured a ton. I guess I would say Buffy minus the super strength. She is a very focused character and always knows what she wants and how to find the light at the end of the tunnel in hard situations. Me, I'm always focused and always finding solutions for things so I can better myself and the people around me.

mayfever
1. I would say my dissertation. I know it sounds stupid, some people might even say that I can't have had a very hard life then and that might just be true, but the last year was definitely the most exhausting 12 months of my life. I was an English major and, being academically ambitious to a fault, everyone expected me to do really well, but up until the very last moment, when I was holding the finished (printed and bound) product in my hands, I wasn't sure I could do it. I felt like the biggest phoney in the world, like I was pretending to be something I wasn't, I had horrible dreams about my supervisor ridiculing me in front of the whole department and several times I seriously contemplated just giving up. I wasn't a very nice person to be around either, or so I was told.

2. To be honest, I don't really know. I have amazing friends and a very supportive family (if they aren't occupied otherwise, that is), but with my dissertation, what kept me going in the end was my pride - I kept thinking that I, of all people, wasn't a quitter. I still couldn't have done it without my flatmate, who did a bang-up job of keeping me sane by cooking me meals, slowly weaning me off the caffeine and forcing me to watch at least one Angel episode with her every night. I don't think I could have done it without her.

3. I suppose Buffy. I love my friends and I would be lying if I said they haven't always been there for me, but when dealing with my problems, in the end it's always going to be me who has to solve them. That said, there's a little Dawn inside me, too - I have exceptional whining skills :)

LoveLoveLovix
1. Probably coming out to my friends and family about my bisexualocity, and then about my girl who likes girlyness. You never know how people are going to respond... some are totally cool with it and some say they're fine but aren't... some just aren't cool at all. It's a giant guessing game that determines your life, and very hard to face.

2. My closest group of best friends, and my online friends, especially the ones on Winx Writer's Anonymous and here on Buffy-Boards. I seriously draw on the strength of my friends to get me through things.

3. I think I'm a little like Buffy, a little like Willow- like Buffy, I need my friends around me... like our slayer... but at the same time, when I face something, I tend to face it quietly unless it really gets me mad, like Willow.

VisionGirl
1. Death. In college I lost 2 grandparents & a good (young) friend all in the space of 8 months. I had a miscarriage 8 years ago. And most recently, I lost my father 5 years ago. That's been incredibly hard on me and my family. I'm still not over that.

2. I'd like to say my strength in God, but I find that I struggle so much with that when I'm dealing with tragedy. So, as some friends of mine like to say, at those times I need "God with skin on". I lean on my family, my friends, and my 12-step group. I find it comforting to know that I'm not alone when I go through any of these life struggles. I have people in my life that really go the distance with me.

3. Honestly, I'm probably most like Xander: "I laugh in the face of danger, then I run and hide" LOL! I'd like to be more like Buffy, or maybe Cordelia. I do find the Buffyverse characters very authentic in the way they deal with difficulties, especially death. Grief is acknowledged, & they don't always take right actions (as humans do sometimes!). But they usually end up dealing with the situation- you can't run from your life or your past for very long! And the characters find strength in their relationships & in their inner selves. I'd like to think that I fight my demons, and emerge victorious though scarred.

randiann
1. When I was 19, I met someone I should have never got involved with. I was never popular with the boys in high school and my first year of college was HORRIBLE and I was interested in no one. So when I met this guy who was attractive and funny, I ignored several red flashing warning signs. It was fun, I was naieve, and 3 months after we met I end up pregnant.

I had already decided to transfer to a school closer to home, and had my son right before the beginning of my junior year. I was 20 now, and trying desperately to make it work between me and Mr Wrong. We were basically living off my financial aid and money from odd jobs he'd get when things got too desperate. I always made sure my baby was fed and had diapers, but it was at the expense of my own health. 4 months after my first son was born, in december of 2006, I got pregnant again.

In feb of 2007, I began to get violently ill. I was hospitalized, had my appendix removed, and spent a total of three weeks in the hospital in February and March due to the pain I was in and tyre fact I couldn't keep smudging down and was losing weight rapidly. I lost nearly 20 pounds, and finally did what I had needed to for so long: I left my ex and moved me and my son in with my parents. The ex tried everything he could to get me back, manipulative as always, but I stood firm. I didn't know if I could and kept hearing from him how I couldn't raise two small children on my own, but I was slowly getting better and healthier. The damage I'd done to my body from malnutrition was already done though. Mid april I went to the dr. for my ultra sound. I was at 20 weeks, and gonna find out if I would haver a little boy our girl. I was sooooo excited, and had my names all picked out already. The tech came in, started the ultrasound and then excused herself. The dr came in with her next, looked at my belly with that machiene, and then asked me to go into the next room and wait. He came in a few minutes later to explain my baby had a condition called anacephaly and that he was missing a portion of his brain and skull and would never live. It was due to a folic acid deficiency due to my poor diet in the weeks after I got pregnant. He recommended I terminate the pregnancy for my own health, and aster a few days spent sobbing and thinking about it all, I did this. Unfortunately I was too far along to simply terminate, and had to have labor induced. On april 19, 2007, I gave irth to my second son, Zachary Kieran. He lived for only about 30 minutes after he was born, and fit in the palm of my hand. A few days later I buried my second son.

Some people have asked (in nicer words) why I bothered to bury him and have a funeral for a baby so little. I was already so attached to him, and I couldn't let the hospital simply take him away and dispose of him as medical waste. He wasn't waste to me, he was (and is) my baby. I still go and visit him each year on his birthday, and being as this was last week for me it is still something I get extremely emotional about. But it's good to talk about, and I've resigned myself to the fact that it was God's way of keeping me from having more than I could handle with two small children.

2. My family. We are a dysfunctional bunch in the purest sense of the word. My dads side of the family is extremely close, and i'd rather hang out at my aunts house with my cousins then with friends. My immediate family is amazing (and more functional, lol). I have three most amazing husband who has gotten mr through many ups and downs, and helped me go back to school as I had taken a leave of absence when I was sick, and then didn't go back the semester after that. He is quite literally my other half, and I couldn't imagine life without him anymore. My son and my step sons are some of the most awesome little onery boys ever, and I love them. Family and determination have gotten me this far, amass I feel blessed to have them both.

3. I would compare myself to either Xander laying about drinking alone and running away from my problems (that doesn't work very well, by the way) or Angel sitting in his room brooding and starting at connor's crib after Holtz stole his son. I don't handle true life altering difficult situations well unfortunately. Wish I could be Buffy sometimes instead, maybe that's why I like her so much. I look up to someone who can get right back up after getting knocked down.

I would like to say a special thank you to all of you for sharing your experiences with us. Everyone of them is touching and inspirational and a true testament to finding the strength to overcome our obstacles. :)

Shine a Light

Eliza is Catwoman[

In the most recent of Whedonverse news, it has been announced that Eliza will voice Catwoman in the latest adaptation of Frank Miller's 'Batman: Year One'.

Head over to: Eliza is Catwoman in Batman: Year One to join the discussion about Eliza's newest career venture.

Whedonverse Quotes

The times are chaotic. For me, I would hope that people look at ["Angel" (1999)] and gain strength by it. With everything that I do, I hope that they see people struggling to live decent, moral lives in a completely chaotic world. They see how hard it is, how often they fail, and how they get up and keep trying. That, to me, is the most important message I'm ever going to tell. - Joss Whedon

There is nothing more painful in the world than Aly when she makes her big eyes. When she makes her big hurt eyes there's nothing you can do; she just kills ya. And she can also play extraordinary pathos and huge comedy at the same time, which she does throughout this entire scene. I loved shooting this. I loved the idea that they had a "We Hate Cordelia" club, and that Xander was the treasurer; I just think that says a lot about the way they make their clubs.

["It just means you'd rather be with someone you hate than with me."]

I know I was supposed to keep talking but I just love that moment from her so much that I had to stop.
- Joss Whedon

Quote of the Month

Out of the hundreds of posts made here each day, sometimes one stands out amongst the rest. This month's choice is:

Thread: Why is Buffy so confident she can beat the uber vamp in showtime?
I don't think Buffy was that confident she was going to win but she was confident she was going to give it her best shot and prove to the girls that she is strong. I think it was more of a personal fight for Buffy to also prove to herself that "she can". I personally believe that She, Willow and Xander had a plan worked out where if something was going wrong, they would intervene and help her. Fortunately that did not happen and Buffy won on her own terms in what I think is an important fight in the season. It showed us that Buffy can beat anything if she just knows her enemies well enough to find their weak spots.

IMO this fight was more symbolic rather than literally about her fighting the ubervamp. It was symbolic in the sense that it's sort of bringing back the old Buffy that had all this confidence and never doubted herself. It was nice to see the old Buffy back after she won this fight.

Keep up the great posting guys, and maybe we'll spotlight you in the future!

Member Recognition

As always, as we draw to a close it's time to reveal those of you that the staff have chosen to recognise this month.

For our new readers, this is the part of the newsletter, where we take the time to acknowledge those members of BB who have shown respect to their fellow members, helped to keep a friendly environment and generally consistently had an awesome attitude around the board. So, congratulations to:

New Member of the Month
MomtNEWApril2.jpg

Member of the Month
MotmApril2.jpg

Congratulations to you both for you well-deserved awards! Keep up the great attitudes!

And that is all for this issue! We hope that you've enjoyed the read. Until next time, be safe, take care of yourselves and happy posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom