• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Buffy-Boards Newsletter - Issue 28 - November 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taake

I do doodle. You too. You do doodle, too.
Staff member
Black Thorn

HeaderNovember2.jpg

Happy Thanksgiving dear BBers, chilly November has swept upon us inching us toward Christmas and the holiday seasons.Here to keep you warm is the latest hot issue of the BB Newsletter and all the goings on. So what's new around here? Keep on reading...

Are you new to BB and reading the newsletter for the very first time? If you are, its good to have you! This here newsletter is here to keep all of you informed about what's going on at BB with the board itself, as well as helping you get to know some of your new board mates!

If you enjoyed the read, which we know you will, then please pop on over to our Newsletter Feedback thread and tell us what you thought and see the Buffy Boards News Archive for all the past issues if you'd like to have a catch up!​

New Members​

On behalf of all our staff and members, we would like to extend another huge "˜Welcome!' to all those who have joined our community since our last issue. It's really great to have you and we're hope you're getting comfy settling in!

NewMemberGraphicNov.jpg

For those of you who may still be feeling a little overwhelmed, there a few things that can help you out. First, be sure to check out our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) which provides you with lots of information about our rules, as well as giving you a helping hand if you run into any problems.

After browsing through that, there are a few other useful stops you may wish to check out:

*Bad Eggs: We all need a little help from time to time, so who best to help you than your very own personal guide to BB? Get yourself adopted by an existing member and they will show you the ropes, answer any questions and generally take care of you as you settle in. Pop into the forum Bad Eggs and start a thread asking for someone to adopt you and someone will snap you up!

*The Sorting Tome: Pay a visit to the great and mysterious Sorting Tome and get sorted into one of our Dormitories! Once the Tome has posted of your fate, you will find yourself given access to a new part of the forum for you and your fellow dorm mates. It's a great way to meet members and get to know them in a smaller, cosier part of the board.

*Angel Investigations: If you still find yourself with unanswered questions after reading through the FAQ, then this is your next stop. Have a browse through the forum and see if other people have already asked your question and find your answer and if you still need to know something then start a thread in Angel Investigations and we will answer it ASAP.
Please also remember that we have a Confidential Member Concerns Area that you can post in if you would like to keep your enquiry private. Only you and the Board Staff will be able to view it.

Meet the Newbie: Introducing one of our latest Potentials

PotentialNov.jpg

This is an interview with one of our potentials, you may or may not have seen this Buffy fan posting around the boards already. If you have or haven't I'm sure you'll be glad to be further introduced to: Living Dead Boy who has kindly agreed to answer a few questions for us, so we shall pass you over:

Living Dead Boy said:
Questions:

1.Hey there Living Dead Boy ! How did you find BB? And what were your first thoughts about it?

I actually sought BB out through this magical thing called (in a low voice) *Google* Shhhhh! Don't tell anyone. :) I was Googling Buffy, and I happened to come across the boards, and that's where the beginning of my life happened. I'm quite moved.

2. Where can you usually be found hanging out? (e.g which forum/s do you frequent most?)

I frequent Critically Touched a lot. It's the best Buffy and Angel review site on the planet. They're so in depth and with rich analysis as well. It really helps you appreciate the underrated episodes, as well as discovering hidden messages and other things you didn't know about the more celebrated ones. I highly recommend it.

3. Do you have a favourite character from the Buffyverse?

Are you kidding? That's like choosing my favorite child or something. :eek: It probably depends on how I'm feeling at any particular moment, but every character is my favorite.

4. Have you watched both Angel and Buffy and if you have which do you prefer?

I haven't finished watching Angel (on season 3) so I can't really call it yet, but so far Buffy all the way. And I doubt that it will ever change.

5. Speaking of...If you could change one thing from any episode of BtVS what it would be?

Die-hard Whedon fans would say nothing, it's perfect the way it is right? But we know better. We all know the end of "Empty Places" that Buffy should've been the one kicking those traitors out of HER house. "Ding, dong, the witch is dead", my butthole.

6. Moving a little off topic now. What other TV shows do you like to watch?

Outside the Whedonverse, there really isn't much that I love. The only shows that I love beside the Core Four are Veronica Mars, which, in my opinion, IS the second coming of Buffy Summers. Such a brilliant show, and one that I introduce to my friends daily. Another one that I just got into is Breaking Bad. That show is quickly becoming one of the greatest television shows EVER put on the screen. If Buffy didn't hold the place as my number one, Breaking Bad would take the throne. Easy.

7. So aside from television watching, what's an average day like in the life of Living Dead Boy?

7am, waking up in the morning
Gotta be fresh, gotta go downstairs
Gotta have my bowl, gotta have cereal
Seein' everything, the time is goin'
Tickin' on and on, everybody's rushin'
Gotta get down to the bus stop
Gotta catch my bus, I see my friends (My friends)

Kickin' in the front seat
Sittin' in the back seat
Gotta make my mind up
Which seat can I take?

It's Friday, Friday
Gotta get down on Friday
Everybody's lookin' forward to the weekend, weekend
Friday, Friday
Gettin' down on Friday
Everybody's lookin' forward to the weekend

....I'm probably kidding. ;)

Thank you very much for a fabulous interview!

Board News

BBradio.jpg

October has shown the launch of BB's newest feature "“ radio casts with BB members you know as DJ's. You don't want to miss this! So run right on over to the BB radio section where you can find the Jamtastic 4 and
the B3 airing their shows! Interesting discussions, good music... don't miss it :)

*Attention:Please take the time to read this note on Banned Members if you haven't already.

Epdis.jpg

*Episode discussions!
We know you have a topic you're just dying to get the people talking about. Don't miss the opportunity to lead a discussion here on the boards, go here to read about the lastest issues continuing the Buffy and Angel sagas.
Or to discuss what's going on in them... like what might be Xander's secret?
Go here!.

*Contest: BB's 5th Icon contest is on the way "“ have you finished yours? Follow the art and voting here...
https://www.buffy-boards.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=401

*Reading: Got some time with the holidays incoming.. go to the Introduction to the Watcher Diaries to read some of the new fics posted! https://www.buffy-boards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=137
And in the Bronze you can discuss homemade gifts and crafts, maybe pick up some tips for Christmas Go here!.

*For House Points
First a thank you to all the members who have contributed with recaps and filmographies to help make our board more up to date and complete! Thank you all!

Volunteersthanks.jpg

BB Articles
For 50 points, you may write a Whedonverse-themed (Buffy, Angel, Dollhouse, Firefly, Dr. Horrible, Fray or a combination) article for our BB Articles forum. A word of warning: we will check for plagiarism and you will face banning from the board should we find any. Post your article in the BB articles forum and post here letting us know that you did. Go here!.

*The BB cookbook is still underway!
Submit your recipes to Angelic Slayer to contribute to this coming treat, go here to read more!

*And don't forget... the BB store is still around for all that pretty swag you need year round
3454794.jpg

So there you are, lots to be getting to your teeth into around BB!

Brainteasers

Last month we published a brainteaser in the form of a crossword puzzle where twelve names from Buffy the vampire slayer characters have hidden themselves. Here are the correct answers:
BT2FACIT.jpg

Brainteaser 2:
Four square "“ four identical pictures... or are they? The squinting eye might note that two of the pictures are a little bit different than the others... send the answers to me for the chance to win 25 house points!

Foursquare.jpg

Brainteaser 3:
Buffy trivia...

1)What is the only episode that Xander did NOT appear in?
2)What characters appeared in both the pilot of Btvs AND in the last episode of Ats?
3)Who coined the term "Scooby gang" and in what season?
4)What is the name of the first vampire Buffy stakes in the series?

Send me the answers for the chance to win 25 house points!

SHINE A LIGHT

Omwf10year2.jpg

10 years since the premiere of Once More With Feeling!.
So buy all means celebrate by watching it once more (with feeling)! Go to the season 6 forum and discuss the episode "“ anything new you've realized? Anything you miss? Still love it? Hate it? Let us know...

What did you think when you first saw OMWF? Were you spoiled/unspoiled?
Nix said:
When I first saw OMWF I have to say I was not too impressed. It was not one of my favourite episodes and I was not blown away by it I thought that it was mediocre. I was not spoiled as I watched it when it first was aired. However, since then after watching it through a few more times I have grown to like it more than at first watch and appreciate the episode more now. Although it still does not make my top 5 episodes! I know this goes against what a lot of people think but that's how I feel about the episode. My favourite song/section of the episode are the Tara/Willow bits.

Nix
:)

Favorite song from OMWF?
EvilWillow said:
Walk through the fire

What is your favorite dance scene from Once More With Feeling?

hazzard said:
I'd love to participate! my favourite dance scene from "once more with feeling" is buffy/smg while she sings "something to sing about"

What's your favorite moment from OMWF?
HisMrs said:
My favorite moment in "Once More With Feeling" has to be when Spike stops Buffy from burning to death. The intensity and love in his face as he sings "Life isn't bliss, life is just bliss... It's living... You have to go on living" is just amazing.

How do you feel about OMWF? Has it changed from when you first saw it?

PassionBecoming said:
I LOVE OMWF! I'm a sucker for any kind of musical, and Buffy + Musical = HEAVEN!

My feelings haven't changed - I still love it. I love how Buffy's true feelings and where she was is revealed. I love the Spuffy kiss and that Spike is the one that brings her out of her emotional spiral. Sweet was awesome, the songs were super catchy. Generally, musicals make things more peppy, and with BtVS they were intermingled perfectly with the drama going on in the storyline.

Amber Benson on the web?
New webseries to shoot: "Marie's Zero Gravity Bar and Grill" featuring this Buffy-alumn. Check it out http://www.marieszerogravitybarandgrill.com/

JOSSVERSE QUOTE
"When I tried to get Ali's singing range, she threw herself on the ground in my office and went "No!" It was actually kind of adorable." - Joss Whedon

Quote of the Month
There must be hundreds upon thousands of posts made every month (maybe even every day) here on BB discussing anything you could care to imagine, and more! Each month, some posts jump out amongst the others, for being particularly well written or thought provoking, and here are our picks from the last couple of months:

drizzlydaze in "One Chosen one?"
https://www.buffy-boards.com/showpost.php?p=1003640&postcount=5

Thematically, it makes perfect sense. The seventh season was all about going back to the beginning--the First Evil, Sunnydale High--and subverting it. The First Evil was defeated, Sunnydale was destroyed. And the very root of the show's mythology is the Slayer, the Chosen One, so they subverted that too, destroying the norm and sharing the power, sharing the burden.

Logically, it's stupid.

Gum_Gnome33 in "A New Moon Rising "“ Oz/Willow/Tara triangle"
https://www.buffy-boards.com/showpost.php?p=1005367&postcount=11

I think Oz absolutely deserved to know that Willow was dating someone new, but Willow didn't need to blurt it out as soon as he arrived. As others said, he had gone-and she thought it was for good. She wasn't prepared to tell him anything, or to even consider having him in her life again. So it's perfectly understandable that she would need some time to tell him; heck, I think she was so busy just processing the fact that he was back, and everything he was telling her about learning to control the wolf, that she gets a pass here.

Also, it must have been very confusing for her considering she'd just started dating Tara, but had loved Oz for years. And I'm sure she wasn't in a hurry to alienate him--something she knew would happen once she told him she'd moved on. And he, of course, shouldn't have expected her to have waited for him.

xFivebyFive in "Faith: Evil or Victim?"
https://www.buffy-boards.com/showthread.php?p=1005526#post1005526

Faith was a victim. She wasn't evil. But was she doing evil things? Definitely.

Whatever happened to Faith as a child fractured her. She was broken. To protect herself she split herself in two basically. The little girl still wanting to be loved and the hardened I don't give a f*** girl we see. She couldn't take any more pain or abuse and so she sealed herself off. Some wounds never heal, and no not everyone becomes a murderer but some abuse is just too damaging. Then you give the girl superhuman abilities and expect a good outcome?

By the time we meet Faith she is too far gone for any of the scoobies to help her. They were still children themselves what did they know about helping someone as damaged as Faith? Killing the deputy Mayor pushed Faith over the edge. She went from broken to beyond repair, at least in her mind.

Is it her fault? Yes and no. The blood is still on her hands. Those people are still dead and her being sorry isn't going to bring them back. Could she have stopped herself? I dont think so. I think the only chance she had was in Consequences and Wesley ruined that. From then on Faith was gone. She had locked away any feelings she had, any remorse. She turned herself over to the mayor and for once had someone to love her. Which only proved to her more this is where she belonged. She tried to be good and always failed. She wanted to be loved and never got it. But embracing being "evil" she gets what she always wanted. Love. Proving this is what she deserved. She would do anything to continue getting that love. There was no way for her to be redeemed in her mind, no way to save her, but if she did what he wanted she could still be loved.

It's not like any normal murderer because this is supernatural. This severely damaged girl was given super strength and asked to kill. If Faith had never been called would she still have become a murderer? I dont think so. I think she would have been a very violent, self-destructive person, who may have even gotten herself killed somewhere down the line.

She's not evil, she's a victim. But she is guilty of murder. She needs to feel responsible for those murders. She needs to feel guilty.

Member Recognition
As always, as we draw to a close it's time to reveal those of you that the staff have chosen to recognise this month.

For our new readers, this is the part of the newsletter, where we take the time to acknowledge those members of BB who have shown respect to their fellow members, helped to keep a friendly environment and generally consistently had an awesome attitude around the board. So, congratulations to:

RipperGilesFan and Washburne

NewMemNov2.jpg

MemberNov2.jpg

Congratulations and thank you to you all for being such great members of the community! Keep up your fantastic attitudes!

We've hope you've enjoyed reading and don't forget to check out how you can help out on the Boards in the coming months!
Until the next issue, be safe, take care of yourselves and happy posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom