• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Buffy-Boards Newsletter - Issue 3 - August 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angelic Slayer

Daydream Believer
Sineya
newsletter-aug.jpg

BUFFY-BOARDS NEWSLETTER
August 2008

---------------------

Hello Buffy-Boarders! Welcome to the August 2008 edition of the new BB Newsletter!

Here's the place to find updates on all things Buffy-Boards; from special announcements to what's happening around the boards to news about our members. Also watch for special contributions from our very own bb-ers (yes, we mean you!), answers for our Question of the Month and more!

If you need a refresher on older news or missed out on last month's issue, don't fret! It can be found here. And as always, we want to hear what you'd like to see in the upcoming issues, so drop by the Buffy-Boards Newsletter Feedback thread today!

Welcome New Members!

We'd like to first send out a warm and friendly welcome to all of our new members on behalf of everyone here at BB! It's great to see so many new faces and we hope that you all enjoy it here as much as we do! If you haven't already done so, be sure to stop in and post an introduction in the Check In forums. Also, be sure to take a look over our handy FAQ section, or get adopted in Bad Eggs to help you find your way! One of our very own Official Banner Makers will be more than happy to whip up a snazzy signature for you, and don't forget to get sorted into a Board Dormitory, we can't wait to see you there!

The new members for the month of July were:

august_newmemBB.jpg

Moderator Updates

After a three-week long trip to Sydney, our beloved mod Keanoite has once again found her way back to the boards. We hope you enjoyed your trip and welcome back!

Board News

The Buffy-Board RPG "The Dark Age: Through the Looking Glass" is still going strong and is casting for two remaining characters. Ever wondered what the buffyverse would be like if the good guys weren't so good? Be sure to check it out!

The cast list is as follows:

Lyri - Darla
Keanoite - Angel
VisionGuy - Cordelia
Jenny - Tara
Black Eye Guy - Faith
Mesektet Ra - Drusilla
Joyce Summers - Buffy
Blondie Bear - Oz
Crazy Flakes - Willow
Xander - bufsum
The Heartlist - Spike
Five by Five - Glory
palabravampiress - Giles

The following character is still available:

Dawn

If you're interesting in joining the cast, please PM Lyri with an audition as the character you wish to play, plus two other characters you think would fit into this verse.

~~~~~~~~~~

"New Horizons" is another great RPG here at BB that you can check out at the Cast List and Plot Summary. They are currently casting for the roles of:

Faith
Robin Wood
Oz
Andrew
Connor
Gunn

If you're interested in joining in, please post in the Sign up for the RPG thread or PM Black Eye Guy with your audition!

~~~~~~~~~~

On August 9th our very own wiccianslayer held the very first "Buffy & Angel Awards" Ceremony. This was an unofficial awards ceremony designed to commend outstanding moments from the "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and "Angel" television series. The cermony turned out to be a huge success, and was a great time for all those who caught it live. Thanks to all those who voted, and a special thanks to wiccianslayer, Aethra, The Chosen and DarklyDreamingDrusilla for all of their help with the event.

Some of the winners were as follows....

Best Character Entrance: Giles in "Two to Go"
Most Inspiring Speech: Xander in "Potential"
Most Emotional Moment of Ats, Season 4: Connor and Darla in "Inside Out"

You can check out the full results and ceremony here.

~~~~~~~~~~

With the release of the much-anticipated second issue of "Time of Your Life", the Buffy Season 8 forums are busy as ever. Want to get in on the action? Be sure to stop in to the Guess the Big Bad thread for a great way to earn some house points!

~~~~~~~~~~

Buffy-Boards is still looking into the possibility of Official Buffy-Boards merchandise, so if you haven't already, please stop by the feedback thread and let us know what you think!

~~~~~~~~~~

The lovely staff of BB just wanted to send out a quick reminder to all members to please keep your signatures within the 725x150 pixels limit. If you're not sure of how big that is or have any questions, you can find more information here.

~~~~~~~~~~

After a thorough search through the boards (and endless harrassing of our wonderful prefects), we are happy to bring you this month's member news:

Alexa will be moving from Australia all the way to the UK very soon! Good luck with your move and the best of luck to you in your new english home!

Aussie has passed her RDA OTC with flying colours. Congratulations, we hear that you're "a natural"!

Blondie Bear got her outstanding short story "DEMONS' NIGHT OFF" published this month! A huge congrats!

Summers Blood has recently returned from a sun-filled trip to Turkey. Welcome back!

white avenger, Buffy Summers, Jenny and xgirlanachronism245x have all faced recent hard-drive crashes, a round of sympathies to you all! Yikes!

From the Members

Are you a bloody awful poet? Do you lurk in Art Class? Have you got something to say? PM Jenny and we may include your work in future issues!

Here are this month's creative contributions, these members are definitely thinking outside of the box! We loved this stuff and just couldn't resist sharing it with the rest of the boards!

GINGERBREAD SPIKE & DRUSILLA
Submitted by: DarklyDreamingDrusilla

DDD_cookies.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~

ILLYRIA'S SORTING
Submitted by: Five by Five

Illyria-Drogyn_fivebyfive.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~​

Thanks to both DarklyDreamingDrusilla and Five by Five for your awesome pieces of art! As has been said, we loved them!

If you have any artwork, poetry, or pieces of fanfiction that you would like to have featured, please PM your submissions to Jenny or ~angelic slayer~!

Member Recognition

This is the section of the newsletter where our moderators would like to take the time to recognize members whose contributions to the boards have really stood out over the past month. They have exuded the spirit that IS Buffy-Boards with every post, and really set a great example for their fellow members.

The New Member of the Month for last month, July is:

nmotm-aug-mozya.jpg

The Member of the Month for last month, July is:

motm-agu-sof.jpg

Two well-deserved recipients, congratulations to you both!!

Question of the Month

Each and every month, the Newsletter staff will be putting forth a new question for the Buffy-Boards members tackle. The top answers that we recieve will be featured in the following month's newsletter and a new question will be asked. For the month of July, we asked BB:

"Buffy: Passion or Obsession, where do YOU fall?"

This month's answer comes to us from the one and only Five by Five, thank you to him for this brave submission:

Passion or Obsession?

An interesting question. Some would say that our very presence on such a board as this would classify our love for all things Buffy as obsession, but they obviously don't know what they are talking about. Some would say the Buffy and Angel marathons, the insistence on watching every episode of both in precise order of air dates (except, of course, the ones that we know were aired late - doesn't everybody?), and the constant use of Buffyverse quotations in increasingly inapropriate context as the years plough on reveal us to be obsessed. But that all just goes to show how committed we are to the show, not how we should be committed because of it. Some would go as far as to say that all the art and fanfiction we produce are pointless and outdated; that we glorify our heated debates on who loves who as "wars"; that our usage of arcane and esoteric terms such as Bangel, Spuffy, 'verse, OMWF etc., is exclusive and possesive. Others would even blaspheme the name of Whedon, and would cast doubt on the merit of the (thankfully, now over) crusade against the Big Bad that is Fox.

But obsessed? Me? Don't be silly, I could give it up whenever I want to. I just.....choose not to....."

~~~~~~~~~~

Now it's your turn Buffy-Boarders! August's Question of the Month is:

BTVS vs. ATS: Which is really worth the watch?

We can't wait to hear from you! Please PM ~angelic slayer~ your submissions by September 15th, 2008!

Burning Question

Have you always wondered where Old Master III buys his socks? Want to know what shampoo Buffy Summers likes? One question every month will be answered, so put your thinking caps on and go ahead, dare to ask that burning question!

This month's mind-bending question was submitted by The Kinslayer, directed towards our very own Old Master III: "What do you consider to be the best pick up line?"

And the answer is...
Old Master III said:
"What do you consider to be the best pick up line?"

Ahhh, yes, pick-up lines. I never use 'em. :p

Young men who aspire to ascend to the lofty status of Mack Daddy know better than to take that route. There is an exception. They're most certainly always good for an intentional laugh......if done with CLASS in certain situations where their comedic effect can be an icebreaker.....and they should only be used in this fashion. :: tu ::

However dudes, the pick up line as a serious, all-purpose mack is naught but a pointless way to spend your evening out. But, if an epic fail is what you're shooting for with the opposite sex, then this is definitely the road to take. :p

Why do you think that girl is pointing and laughing at you with her friends right now? Why are you suddenly drenched in some other gals' Long Island Iced Tea? Why did some other cutie just stare at you then walk away? Why oh WHY do you think that impersonating a foreigner, then walking up to some hottie standing at the bar and telling her in a smarmy Italian accent, "So, we have sex now, yes?" did not actually net you the tail you were hoping to snag tonight, you dumbf***s??! :p

Because the cold hard fact of it is that women, for the most part, think pick up lines are lame, lame, lame. I had to learn that the hard way in my youth.

The real deal is they'd much rather you utilize your natural wit and your gift of gab. In other words, be your damned self, guys. Call me old fashioned, but that old standard still works. Trust me on that.

You folks got any other questions? Then step on up to the mic.....

Thank you for the interesting Q&A you two! Be sure to PM Jenny with your Burning Question!

Speaker's Corner

Got something to say? Would you like to be featured in our newsletter? PM Jenny with your very own sound-off, we'd love to hear from you!

Quote of the Month

We're really lucky here at BB to have so many great posts every month, it's hard to choose just a few. But all the same, here are some of our favourites this month!

Posted by Social Suicide in "I've Converted You To The Way Of Buffy" thread:

Oh my God, this Buffy convert thing in this house is getting WILD. I just watched 3 episodes with my other roommate, and now she wants to finish the whole season in one go. People, when I'm getting an overdose of Buffy, be worried. And my other convert, he wants to watch Buffy with me later tonight as well. I don't even watch episodes alone anymore, people here just wanna keep watching! I love it, though I seriously need to get some work done and like this it's not going to happen. But god, I'm so glad I finally got my own little army of Buffy converts :D

Posted by kater in "Dark Willow: When did she become Dark?" thread:

I think for me Willow's descent into darkness began at the start of the season. When she killed the fawn she took the life of something so profoundly innocent it changed something in her. She realized that she was capable of taking a life rather than just staking vamps or killing demons. The descent is gradual and the breaking point, I believe, was when she did the memory spell. It showed that she had lost respect for both herself and everyone she held dear. Though she did try, at least seemed to, to redeem herself I believe it was only temporary in her desperation to find love again. When Tara dies Willow has nothing left to try for, since the one thing that had been keeping Willow away from the darkness had been needlessly taken from her. I think the end, with Xander was the point at which Willow really is reminded that though she's so far gone, she can be redeemed and that someone cares enough to try. I've always felt that the saddest part of season 6 was how Willow was allowed to take those steps, and that it took her killing someone for her friends to really lay it all on the line. That said, evil willow was awesome!

~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you to Social Suicide and kater for your unknowing contributions!

And watch out Buffy-Boarders, you never know when your post may be featured here!

Birthdays

We've had a lot of birthdays here in the last month, afraid you missed one? Here's a listing of member Birthdays for the month of August:

august_birthdaysBB.jpg

A big Happy Birthday to everyone who celebrates (or have already celebrated) their birthdays this month!

~~~~~~~~~~

And there you have it folks, that's it for this month! One final thank you goes out to all those who made submissions this month: a small button should pop up in your signature soon for your contributions! Remember BB, if you have any suggestions or ideas for future issues, feel free to PM Jenny or ~angelic slayer~, or let us know your thoughts in our Buffy-Boards Newsletter Feedback thread! The deadline for all submissions for the September 2008 Newsletter is September 15th. A very special thank you once again to the wonderful edb for all of your help with newsletter graphics, and to all those members who continue to help us behind the scenes!

Until next time....happy staking!

newsletter-aug.jpg

T
tommy
amazing
S
Senior Watcher
karma to you and jenny! another great newsletter. im so jealous that i dont have the time or talent for something like this.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom