• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Buffy-Boards Newsletter - Issue 30 - January 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taake

I do doodle. You too. You do doodle, too.
Staff member
Black Thorn
Januaryheader2.jpg

Good day to you all, and welcome to another issue of the BB Newsletter!
Are you new to BB and reading the newsletter for the very first time? If you are, its good to have you! This here newsletter is here to keep all of you informed about what's going on at BB with the board itself, as well as helping you get to know some of your new board mates!

If you enjoyed the read, which we know you will, then please pop on over to our Newsletter Feedback thread and tell us what you thought and see the Buffy Boards News Archive for all the past issues if you'd like to have a catch up!

For those of you who are curious about the staff on the board go to Meet the Staff thread for all those fun little facts. There is also list under Member Community of all previous staff members. So if you're curious to see everyone who has given their time and support to BB, head on over and take a peek here!

New Members

On behalf of all our staff and members, we would like to extend another huge "˜Welcome!' to all those who have joined our community since our last issue. It's really great to have you and we're hope you're getting comfy settling in!

Jannewmem.jpg

For those of you who may still be feeling a little overwhelmed, there a few things that can help you out. First, be sure to check out our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) which provides you with lots of information about our rules, as well as giving you a helping hand if you run into any problems.

After browsing through that, there are a few other useful stops you may wish to check out:

• Bad Eggs: We all need a little help from time to time, so who best to help you than your very own personal guide to BB? Get yourself adopted by an existing member and they will show you the ropes, answer any questions and generally take care of you as you settle in. Pop into the forum Bad Eggs and start a thread asking for someone to adopt you and someone will snap you up!
  • The Sorting Tome: Pay a visit to the great and mysterious Sorting Tome and get sorted into one of our Dormitories! Once the Tome has posted of your fate, you will find yourself given access to a new part of the forum for you and your fellow dorm mates. It's a great way to meet members and get to know them in a smaller, cosier part of the board.
  • Angel Investigations: If you still find yourself with unanswered questions after reading through the FAQ, then this is your next stop. Have a browse through the forum and see if other people have already asked your question and find your answer and if you still need to know something then start a thread in Angel Investigations and we will answer it ASAP. Please also remember that we have a Confidential Member Concerns Area that you can post in if you would like to keep your enquiry private. Only you and the Board Staff will be able to view it.

Meet the Newbie: Introducing one of the latest Potentials
PotentialJan.jpg

You may have seen this potential already around the boards even if you haven't we're sure you'll be glad to learn more about Strawberryeve!

strawberryeve said:
Oh how flattering, and fun!
So, I found BB because I was re-watching some AtS, (I think it was season 3,) and thought to myself, "I heard somewhere that these numbered shirts everyone seems to be wearing (a lot) in BtVS S6 and AtS were not supposed to mean anything but there HAS to be someone online who has talked about it" So I googled this absurd query and lo! Like a lighthouse in a fog, I found BB. Being such a dedicated fan I'm truly surprised I didn't find this forum sooner. But, I've never been a member of a forum before.

As for where you would find me hanging out, this is the only forum I frequent so I guess I'm an old fashion Facebook gal (I just checked the 'most visited' tab on my Mozilla and it confirms I spend all my time here, FB and my email.) If anyone knows any good sites to check out, I'm open to suggestions. I'm a curious person, so I'm pretty much interested in most things.

My favorite Buffy character changes. I've always loved Spike and the way his motivation changes from season to season. Anya rocks my world because I love the great lines she has and the hilarious way Emma delivers them. I grew to love Angel as well but mostly because of the later seasons of AtS.

I've watched both BtVS and AtS and I love them both. I find myself re-watching Angel more. The series does have some flaws but I enjoy the darker mood and the complexity of characters like Wesley. It seems more 'adult' and I don't mean to say that BtVS is childish, it's that in AtS characters are given more development where on BtVS the majority of the character development is reserved mostly for Buffy. I love both shows and for me they are like siblings in the same family so I can't see one without the other.

Wow, if I could change one thing from any BtVS ep? I love doing what ifs and debating the choices the writers made but I accept it the way it turned out for the most part. Maybe I would've changed As You Were and made Buffy proud to be with Spike, rub it in Riley's face and then instead of breaking up with William she goes to the Scoobies and tells them about the whole affair and to deal with it. Ah, but then Spike might never have gotten a soul. So, yeah, I would keep it all the same :)

Well the average day for Strawberryeve recently is pretty uneventful. I'm underemployed and do freelance writing for a living. So, I get up in the morning, run errands, make breakfast, drink my tea and start editing or writing while trying really hard to stay off the internet. In the evenings I make myself pretty for my BF, spend a few hours with him and then get back on the computer. I recently had some health challenges that are starting to sort themselves out. When I'm not home sick or home writing I am a Las Vegas tour guide and I specialize in the Grand Canyon. I mostly sell helicopter tours, bus tours, boat rides, fun adventures and other diversions from the Las Vegas Strip. I used to get to fly to work and perform the boat tours on the Colorado river, I mostly work on the sales end things these days.
Otherwise, I've been having lots of fun here. Everyone is really friendly and helpful. I just ordered Buffy S9 - I can't wait till they get here so I can check out all the S9 threads with the *spoiler*s on them and get into those discussions.
:D

Thank you so much to for giving us the time to answer these questions! :D

Board News

Be Nice on the Internet Week
Special BB-theme week, Jan 9th-15th
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/BrittD379/buffy/benice3.png
https://www.buffy-boards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=406

We talked about online negativity, posting and netiquette and lots of other things. Also themed competition and great discussions and topic to improve mood and spirit, but just because the week is over it doesn't meant we can't keep the spirit alive. Be nice and grab a bar :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/BrittD379/buffy/benicebar2.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/BrittD379/buffy/benice7.png

Art Challenges
For the results of our most recent icon challenge, head over to Art Battles & Challenges and see how your favourite artist fared.
Whilst you're there, check out the information on the newest challenge: Dreams. You never know, it might just be your time to shine and show off your artistic talents!

BB Radio
BBradio.jpg

If you haven't tuned into BB Radio yet then you are missing out! Your fellow members have a whole host of fantastic shows so for some great discussion and music, be sure to check it out!

Epdis.jpg

There's no better way to relive the show than with our diverse and interesting Episode Discussion threads. If you're haven't done so yet, check out the topics your favourite episodes have already inspired and if you fancy starting your own, shoot a PM over to brinkster130 or Enemies and sort out leading your own discussion!

thebuffies.jpg

The Buffies!
The award show is in and coming as well, tune in February 8th (a Wednesday) for the live show of the Buffy Boards event of the year. Your nominations, your winners.... and the the winner of this year's housecup... who will take home this prestigious award "“ Drogyn, Merrick, Vahla Ha'nesh or Raiden? Support your house by being there :)

Read more here
https://www.buffy-boards.com/showthread.php?t=57522

House Happenings
Prefect elections, currently the houses are having new prefect elections.... voting closes January 30th and the new prefects will be announced shortly there after, go vote for your house's next representative!

BB Store
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/BrittD379/buffy/bbstore.png
In need of some swag to show off the BB love? Well look no further than here http://www.cafepress.co.uk/buffyboards

NOW special 10 year anniversary items up now! Hurry and take part of the celebration!

Up and Coming Board Birthday...
Buffy Boards is turning 10 years old! Celebration incoming....
BB10yrs2.jpg

Shine A Light

Quiz / Help earn points for your house.... answer this Buffy quiz (send your answers to me Taake by February 5th.

1.What character said "I knew this "“ I'm the only one, I'm the only one "“ was just an attention getter"
2.In what episode did Buffy's little sister Dawn get her first kiss?
3.What role did Sarah Michelle Gellar originally audtion for?
4.Actor Alan Tudyk has been on two Whedon shows "“ which shows and what were the names of his characters?
5.What dancer made her debut as an actress in an episode of Angel (moving on to another Whedon show thereafter)?

Four square

It's another four square.... four images, one is different... can you tell which one?

Foursquare2-1.jpg

Send me the right answer before February 5th for the chance to win some housepoints.

Jossverse quote
"I would rather have a hundred people who need to see the show than a thousand people who like to see the show." - Joss Whedon

Quote of the Month

There must be hundreds upon thousands of posts made every month (maybe even every day) here on BB discussing anything you could care to imagine, and more! Each month, some posts jump out amongst the others, for being particularly well written or thought provoking, and here are our picks from the last couple of months:
This year's girl in "Cordy the bully"
https://www.buffy-boards.com/showthread.php?p=1019891#post1019891

This might be the truth for you, but people are different and all have their own truth. I feel like you're seeing things in a very black and white way, like either you are a bully or your not. I don't agree with this. Cordelia was a bully in some cases, but she wasn't in others. She was a good person, but good persons can do bad things too. And it's not up to the viewer (I'm talking about IRL now, not the show :)) to decide if someone is really hurt by what another person is saying. It's up to the person being bullied, he or she is the expert on their own feelings.

Like many others I've had some pretty nasty stuff being said to me. Many times the words weren't true, but they really, really hurt me. That wasn't about that what they were saying to me was true, it was about the fact that I felt very uncomfortable and sad about the fact that people would go to such lenghts just to make me feel bad. That they were being mean on purpouse and didn't even care.

Also, there's not like there even is a way to look at someone objectively. Cordy might have thought that Willows dress sence was horrible, but that doesn't mean that she told the TRUTH. It's all in the eye of the beholder. But of course, if people constantly are telling you that your clothes are ugly, it isn't that strange if you start to believe it. That's not about that it's a fact, it's about that you learn it and then adapt it even though you might not have thought so in the first place.

Bullying is never ok, and I kind of feel like you're saying it is sometimes as long as what you're saying is the "truth". I hope that I have misinterepered you, 'cause I think that's horrible and I am really offended and sad by it. Can you please explain what you meant so I understand more what you mean?

Member Recognition

As always, as we draw to a close it's time to reveal those of you that the staff have chosen to recognise this month.

For our new readers, this is the part of the newsletter, where we take the time to acknowledge those members of BB who have shown respect to their fellow members, helped to keep a friendly environment and generally consistently had an awesome attitude around the board. So, congratulations to:

New Member of the Month
NewbieJan.jpg

Member of the Month
NewMemNov.jpg

Congratulations and thank you to you all for being such great members of the community! Keep up your fantastic attitudes!

We've hope you've enjoyed reading and don't forget to check out how you can help out on the Boards in the coming months! Until the next issue, be safe, take care of yourselves and happy posting!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom