• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Buffy-Boards Newsletter - issue 42 - July 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taake

I do doodle. You too. You do doodle, too.
Staff member
Black Thorn

JULY: 2014

Welcome to a new issue of the Buffy-Boards Newsletter to start here are some handy tips for those of you how are new to the boards... Potentials look here!

New to BB - these are the places to go! Check In; is where you introduce yourself (now don't be shy, we know you want to and we want to know!), Bad Eggs; is where you find guidance ... we all need a little help from time to time, so who best to help you than your very own personal guide to BB? Get yourself adopted by an existing member and they will show you the ropes, answer any questions and generally take care of you as you settle in. Pop into the forum Bad Eggs and start a thread asking for someone to adopt you and someone will snap you up!
Last but not least Angel Investigations - is where we help the helpless! If you still find yourself with unanswered questions after reading through the FAQ, then this is your next stop. Have a browse through the forum and see if other people have already asked your question and find your answer and if you still need to know something then start a thread in Angel Investigations and we will answer it ASAP.

Please also remember that we have a Confidential Member Concerns Area that you can post in if you would like to keep your enquiry private. Only you and the Board Staff will be able to view it.

Please be sure to read the FAQ before you post.
https://www.buffy-boards.com/faq.php

Much Ado About Buffy Boards

Have you seen that Clem now follows us on Twitter... go Buffy-Boards! Kitten poker night, y'alls!

Also, according to ”The Atlantic” BTVS was the first show that ”googled”... http://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...n-television-buffy-the-vampire-slayer/373599/

And you haven't missed that we have a new Icon Competition up and running? Go here to vote on your favorite artists; https://www.buffy-boards.com/showthread.php?t=63132

continue to our news forum here to see if you've missed anything!

Keeping up with the WHEDONVERSE
http://s202.photobucket.com/user/TheWhisky/media/KeepingUpWithThe_zpseb4f34e1.jpg.html

THE COMICS:
”New Rules, pt 4” - the fourth issue of Btvs season 10 is out and open for discussion.
https://www.buffy-boards.com/showthread.php?t=63029

Spoilers for upcoming issues:
Buffy and the gang have to battle Dracula for Xander and if that isn't enough... in a later issue we will see Spike and Xander bond! Bring on the hilarity.

”Where the river meets the sea IV” of Angel and Faith is also out and open for discussion:
https://www.buffy-boards.com/showthread.php?t=63115

Spoilers for upcoming issues:
Angel is plagued by nightmares and the new vampires are causing trouble giving Angel and police something to do

WHAT's GOING ON WITH THE CAST:

Joss Whedon – is currently filming ”Avengers: Age of Ultron”

Sarah Michelle Gellar – CBS show ”The Crazy Ones” has been canceled and no new projects have been announced since then.

David Boreanaz – Is still on Fox's crime drama ”Bones” but can also be seen in the Stephen Dorff movie ”Officer Down”

James Marsters – Has a fantasy movie called ”Dragon Warriors” that is to be released this year. He is also to guest star on ”Witches of East End”.

Nicholas Brendon – is writing for the Buffy comics

Alyson Hannigan – is cast in a tv-movie called ”More time with the family” set to be released next year

Michelle Trachtenberg – is also doing tv-movies, current with ”Save the date”

Amy Acker – can be seen on ”Person of Interest” and three smaller movies coming out soon

Alexis Denisof – is cast in MTV's ”Finding Carter” and before that he could be found on ”Grimm”

Anthony Stewart Head – can be seen in the Syfy tv-series ”Dominion”

Eliza Dushku – has finished work on horror film ”Eloise” and is set to move back to Boston in order to study.

Julie Benz – is working on the scifi drama ”Defiance”

Charisma Carpenter – has appeared on tv-shows ”The Lying Game” and ”Blue Bloods” and currently has three movies in post-production.

Jenny Mollen – (”Nina” on Angel) has released her book ”I like you just the way I am”

Emma Caulfiled – is currently filming a movie based on a novel and true events, it's called ”America is still the place”

Marc Blucas – can be found on ABC's ”Killer Women”

Danny Strong – can be seen on HBO's ”Girls” as well as crime-drama ”Justified”

Tom Lenk – can be seen on ”Witches of East End”

Bianca Lawson – becomes the Whedonverse hattrick by also appearing on ”Witches of East End”

Nathan Fillion – still embodies ABC's favorite crime fighting writer ”Castle” and appeared on tv-series ”Community”

Moreena Baccarin – appears on Showtime's award-winning ”Homeland”.

Member Recognition:

New Member award

Congratulations to @bespangeled !

iconquote_zpsc0f36aa4.jpg

There are so many amazing posts here at the boards it is hard to keep up sometimes. Each month, some posts jump out amongst the others, for being particularly well written or thought provoking, and here is our pick from the last month:

EVIL UU; https://buffy-boards.com/showthread.php?p=1117829#post1117829

Oh. Well, I don't think that it's intentional then. It's just how it is, well-written characters are supposed to be hated and loved. Well-written characters are like humans, there are good things about them, there are bad things about them, things to love, things to hate. Then all those things get into the brains of the readers or the viewers, are filtered and rectified by their personalities, experiences and memories and thus an emotional response is formed. The character gives you a loaded gun and you either pull the trigger or you don't. Well, unless it's a bland character you just don't give a shit about, then you just leave them with that gun so they can hopefully put themselves out of their misery and stop polluting the work of art you are consuming. Thing is, the characters will be hated or loved regardless of author's intention because emotional response is not exactly based on reason. It's like with people.

My mother has a friend, a best friend since high-school actually, I even used to call her "aunt" when I was a kid. She's a truly good person, she's never done anything bad to me and guess what, I still hate that bitch. I can't stand her. I will never let her know how I feel about her, I will never do her wrong in any way and because of her relationship with my mom I will help her out if she ever needs my help but that's just how I feel about her. It makes no sense, it's irrational but I still boil inside whenever I see her stupid face. Bitch.

Yeah. People will love or hate a character and the author can only influence it to an extend. For example, you might hate Spike because you are a victim of a sexual assault or you might hate him just because. Similarly, I like Willow. There is a lot of reasons to hate Willow, I get that, I mean, I'm often the hate train's engine driver here but guess what, I don't care. I still like her, the more of a bitch she is the more I do. I can rationalize it, there is a lot of reasons to like Willow too after all but the truth is, the character just resonates with me. Certainly because of what the author did, but not because of one particular thing or a set of things. Point is, I don't think that it's even possible to make a well-written character universally hated. There will always be something to love about them.

DANAJSPARKS; https://buffy-boards.com/showthread.php?p=1117156#post1117156

My initial reaction to the Seed of Wonder and the resurrected Master showing up in Season 8 was that it was a total deux ex machina. But after rewatching Season 1, I've been rethinking that. None of this stuff may be new to you guys, but here are some things I noticed....

The Master's Mystical Prison
We learn in 1.02 that the Master came to Sunnydale in 1937 and attempted to open the hellmouth. Given prophecy that Luke, the vampire, reads at the end of 1.01, it would seem that the Master was hoping to bring back the Old Ones.
But, for some reason, the Master failed in this endeavor and somehow got himself trapped.
The Master was unable to leave the house of worship, where he was trapped, because he was blocked by some kind of magical barrier.

At about 20:30 of 1.01, we are shown the Master's lair/prison. In the middle is a pool of glowing red... something. (Screencap 1) Luke is chanting:
At 34:30 we are given a closer view of the red pool, which is now bubbling. (Screencap 2) As Luke watches, the Master rises out of the pool. (Screencap 3). This glowing red pool is still present in 1.02 (Screencap 4).

Is this glowing red "pool" actually the Seed of Wonder? Maybe the Seed is what trapped him when he attempted to open the hellmouth? I think it's interesting that Giles's description of the Master being stuck "like a cork in a bottle" is the same metaphor that Spike uses to explain how the Seed works in 8.37.

We learn in 8.37 that the Master is the Seed's protector, but the Master isn't necessarily protecting the Seed willingly. Spike says in 8.38 that the Seed enslaved a powerful vampire 800 years ago. This means that the Master's desire to open the hellmouth in S1 may not be incongruous with his desire to protect the Seed in S8, for the Seed may be possessing him in S8.

The Harvest
In Season 1, the Master's followers attempt to free him during a centennial event called the Harvest. Luke reads a prophecy at the end of 1.01:

The vampires, obviously, believe that this "Harvest" refers to an event in 1997, but Buffy manages to thwart their ritual, and the Master remains trapped. So, are the vampires correct, or could this Harvest be a later event. Like, maybe the prophecy is talking about the Master's resurrection in S8; the "newest light" is Twilight; the blood of men flowing refers to the killing of the slayers, and the return of the Old Ones and Hell refers to the apocalypse in S8. Prophecies are tricky things.

The Order of Aurelius
The Master was the head of the Order of Aurelius. Aurelius was a vampire who prophesied in the 12th century. Perhaps it isn't coincidence that this was around the same time that the Seed enslaved the Master.

"Aurelius" was the name of a powerful gens (family, clan) during the Roman Empire. Wikipedia says:
I think what this means is that name may be related to either the Latin word for gold, "aurum," or possibly the Latin word for dawn, "aurora."

The symbol of the Order of Aurelius is a golden sun surrounded by three stars. (screencap 5) We see the stars and the sun together in the sky both at dawn and at twilight, which are the names of Buffy's two magical "offspring."

Aurelius's prophecy is enigmatic. It may be about events in Season 1, but I think it's possible that it may be about later events.
I don't believe that "Septus" is a real word. Perhaps it's based on the Latin word for seven, "septem," but another possibility is that it's derived from the Latin "seaptus," which means "surrounded, enclosed, fenced in." From "seaptus," we get the English "septum," which is a word used in biology for various types of partitions and barriers. So... could the "Advent of Septus" possibly be related to the event of destroying the seed and closing off access to other dimensions?

Other Prophecies
In "Prophecy Girl," Giles finds out the Master shall rise and the slayer shall die. Maybe this prophecy could be about the slayer line ending when Buffy destroys the Seed.

Later in the episode, one of Jenny's online friends sends a message about Isaiah 11:6:
I think it's worth considering this verse within the full context of Isaiah 11. The first part of Isaiah 11 is about how somebody will come who will bring paradise to the people of Israel (God's chosen people). And the second part of talks about how the other surrounding nations will be attacked and/or destroyed. Perhaps, in the Buffyverse, the "little child" in 11:6 is actually Twilight, the baby universe.

FEATURED FANART:
in the future we will feature fanart in this section from banners and icons to fanfics and poems that you our members have written.

That was it for this time but we'll be back soon and until then – Keep Calm and Buffy Board!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom