• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Buffy-Boards Newsletter - issue 54 - February 2016

Taake

I do doodle. You too. You do doodle, too.
Staff member
Black Thorn
February: 2016

There’s No Place Like Plrtz Glrb

Welcome to a hot off the presses edition of the Buffy Boards Newsletter! Holidays and New Years have come and gone and it’s time to catch up with what’s been going on and what is coming! But first…

Potentials look here!

New to BB - these are the places to go! Check In; is where you introduce yourself (now don't be shy, we know you want to and we want to know!), Bad Eggs; is where you find guidance ... we all need a little help from time to time, so who best to help you than your very own personal guide to BB? Last but not least Angel Investigations - is where we help the helpless! If you still find yourself with unanswered questions after reading through the FAQ, then this is your next stop. Have a browse through the forum and see if other people have already asked your question and find your answer and if you still need to know something then start a thread in Angel Investigations and we will answer it ASAP.

Please also remember that we have a Confidential Member Concerns Area that you can post in if you would like to keep your enquiry private. Only you and the Board Staff will be able to view it.

Please be sure to read the FAQ before you post. Help | Buffy-Boards

The House Always Wins

Reunion

The Next BB Event: Reunion 2016
I am pleased to announce the next event for BB, coming in the first week of March: Reunion 2016. We will be inviting all members from years past to ,join us for activities, games and just some time to catch up. Mark your calendars!

The Board Birthday celebration and the Buffies

Just a brief re-visit to all the fun that we had this month! Contests, celebrations, guessing games and of course the Award Ceremony!

If anyone missed t you can visit the red carpet here: The Red Carpet / Buffies Audience Thread

Re-watch the award show: The 8th Annual Buffy-Boards Awards Ceremony

And if you dare, have a peak at what the after-party looked like: The Buffies AFTERPARTY thread!

Scoobie Spotlight

You haven’t missed our getting to know you feature have you! In the Scoobie Spotlight YOU’RE the centre of attention and for a weeks time your fellow members get to ask you questions to their heart’s content!

Go here to sign up, or PM me Taake or Buffy Summers!

New Weekly Feature: Getting to Know You (Scooby Spotlight)

MEET THE AUTHOR: Karin Schill
41N-krrKDML._SX339_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Hey everyone, this month we have a special treat for you. I sat down with the lovely author of the book “Femininity & Masculinity: A Reception study about the construction of gender in four relationships on the TV-series Buffy & Angel”. Karin Schill is a Swedish journalist, with an interest in Sarah Michelle Gellar and Dallas, and who lives with a phantom named Dennis, no wait… dog, a dog named Dennis!

Read the full story here:
Meet the Author: Karin Schill

There you will also find a piece of Karin’s writing
but first a snippet out of the interview below!

Hello, Karin, how are you?

KS: I'm fine thanks. :)

Now you have written the book Femininity & Masculinity: - A Reception study about the construction of gender in four relationships on the TV-series Buffy & Angel – starting out with the big question… how did you come to write a book about Buffy? Was it planned or did it just happen?

KS: Well it wasn't planned to become a book. The whole thing started out as a thesis for my Media and Communications studies at the University. I was studying at a C-level (undergraduate) in the spring of 2003 and we needed to write a thesis to pass the course. It was supposed to have been like a 10 weeks course and they had expected us to complete the task by then. But well not me. lol I guess that's a problem when you chose to study something you are really interested in. The reason I decided to write about Buffy was because I am a fan myself!

The book aims to find if the characters have a tradition gender construction, a hybrid or a reversed one… have you studied in this field as well or how did you come this specific topic?

KS: Well previous to this I had studied psychology and a little sociology. I think I have always been interested in people in general. Also I am interested in women's rights. I am a firm believer in that we should have equal rights regarding what gender we belong to. But well I think what happened was that I was trying to find an angle for my study and I was interested in studying the relationships, since whenever I watch TV I always enjoy watching the characters relationships. Then my teacher advisor suggested I could do a gender study and recommended me to read a book about feminism. So I did and it was a real eye opener for me. I realized that up until that point I had always thought that men and women were equal. But after that I realized that we actually aren't in all fields and since I believe we should be I became a feminist. I also realized just how much our gender is shaped by society. It was actually a really interesting process and it has shaped what I studied after this too.

How interesting. So for the project you connected with fans, how did that process look - how did you find and select fans to interview?

KS: Well being a fan myself I couldn't help but noticing that there were shipper wars going on between particular subculture groups within the fandom. Since I couldn't actually find any reception studies focusing on that and I was interested in learning how being a shipper affected a fans' interpretations of the shows I decided to interview the shippers of the different pairings that I was doing my semiotic analysis about.

I thought that the fans perspective would be a nice complement to my own analysis and would give my study a further depth.

I found the fans through I think four or five different yahoogroups that were for different shipper groups. I joined them and posted an introduction message asking for fans to interview. I got a lot of replies and couldn't interview everyone. So I tried to interview 3-4 people from every shipper group. One group had so many responses that I think I might have ended up interviewing more people from that particular group. But if memory serves me right those fans fulfilled some other criteria that I was looking for. The interviewees were also from different countries and of different ages and I interviewed both men and women. Albeit more women. I completed all my interviews in the spring of 2003. Right before Buffy went off the air.

So it was all fresh in everyone's minds then! Now you shared on Buffy-Boards that you got hooked on Buffy yourself by watching internet clips on a slow dial-up connection! Is that true?

KS: Yes that is in fact true. It was on a website called romance on BTVS, which was run by a girl named Meredith. It is no longer online. But she had videoclips and also some cast interview clips. It was that fansite that pulled me in. I guess you can say I have always been a sucker for the romance when I watch TV. Before then I had stumbled across some weird Buffy fanpages online where there were dripping images of blood and stuff and that never appealed to me. But the sites focusing on the couples had a completely different approach. I guess you could say I am mostly a soap opera girl. I love that kind of shows. So it was Buffy's soapier elements that first pulled me in.

Speaking of ships, do you have a favorite relationship on the show?

KS: That is the million dollar question. Well obviously I am interested in the ships that I studied or else I wouldn't have selected them. I think they all have their different qualities that makes them interesting to watch. Like for instance Buffy & Angel were the star-crossed couple, Willow & Tara, they were a really good description of a lesbian couple. I think they were portrayed with dignity if you don't count the end. Buffy & Spike had a strong physical manifestation and he could get under her skin. She confided things in him that she couldn't tell anyone else. Cordy & Angel were more grown up and emerged from a friendship. I can't really pick one. But I can say that like a lot of people who were fans from the original broadcast, I first began liking couples like Buffy & Angel, Willow & Oz and Cordy & Xander so those couples makes me nostalgic. Buffy & Angel fascinated me the most though, because of the whole forbidden love aspect and the actors had really good chemistry. However upon rewatching I have found some of their story to be a bit cliche. Also the last time I saw Angel I found myself really enjoying Angel & Darla. I wish they had built more on that couple. Also I think Wes & Lilah probably had some similarities with Buffy & Spike in the sense that it was mostly about the sex to start with. Moreover I think the Angel & Cordy shippers were screwed over the most. Because their ship actually never developed into an official couple even though we thought they would during season three when I did the selection for my thesis.

You can find Karin’s book from Scholar’s Press here and here:

WHEDONVERSE

The rogue Slayer has thrown her lot in with the Sandman, Queen C backed Hillary months ago, and the Slayer… well, she’s busy networking. Check her out – Martha, Chelsea and Geraldo – the Buffy-socializing train doesn’t stop!

Also Seth Green had a birthday! Something wannabe-sis SMG didn't forget to celebrate. Three cheers for Seth!

Eliza movie Jane wants a boyfriend will be released!

FilmBuff picks up "Jane Wants a Boyfriend" (Eliza)

"FilmBuff will release the film in theaters and on all major On Demand platforms starting March 25. Platforms include Amazon Instant Video, Comcast’s Xfinity TV, Google Play, iTunes, Time Warner Cable, Verizon FiOS, Vudu, and Xbox. Watch the trailer above."

The meeting of Pike & Spike

The movie’s love-interest Pike (or Luke Perry if you will) have met up with Spike! Watch James Marsters in Dudes and Dragons!

Also you haven't missed the movie where our favorite vengeance demons - Anya and Halfrek - meet again, have you? Timer, a little rom-com starring Emma Caulfield.

Also, remember that time Charisma looked an awful lot like a dude, or there was a dude that looked an awful lot like a lady…

Member's Corner:

Looking for a PS tutorial? ... well Mr. Pole has a basic wallpaper tutorial up! Hone your artskills :)
Basic Wallpaper Tutorial

Quote of the month

White Avenger in “Was Killing Lindsey Really Necessary?” Was killing Lindsey really necessary?

So, Angel set a rendezvous point in a dark alley, in the middle of a rainstorm, and he showed up carrying a broadsword, but he wasn't expecting any sort of immediate retaliation from the Senior Partners for destroying their representatives on earth? If that wasn't a classic SHTF moment, there never has been one.

So the guy had to grow some stones, so what?

Lorne wasn't a warrior. He left his world because of that. His entire life was the love of music. He never wanted to hurt anyone, and Angel manipulated him into a situation where he had only two choices: betray what were probably the only real friends he had ever known, or do something that was so contrary to his nature that it might very well destroy him. He didn't grow stones, he had always had them. The kind of stones that gave him the courage to leave his home, his family, everything that he had ever known, his entire world, and make a new life in a place where no other of his kind existed. Killing Lindsey wasn't a question of stones, it was a question of betraying, and quite possibly destroying, everything that made him what he believed in.

Thetopher in No Spuffies or Bangels No Spuffies or Bangels

You know what I like more than anything? A relationship with a beginning, a middle and an ending.

Woz has that, Tillow, Xanya and Cangel, Giles/Jenny and even Briley- they all knew when they didn't have any story left worth telling.

And yet these two massive 'ships...there's a difference between 'epic' and 'tired' okay. Both of them had things to recommend them and they were- at the time- interesting to watch. On the whole in the series I prefered...Briley. Why? Because it made Buffy the happiest and that's my chief concern in fiction. I thought it was nice to see Buffy dating somebody mostly during the day, picnics, drives in the country, trips to the beach. She had lots of sex with him without any bad consequences, she didn't feel used or dirty afterwards and, best of all, there was no body count as a result of her feelings for him.

Also the practicalities of sleeping with a vampire have always left me with an ick feeling if I'm honest. It just isn't healthy.

Spuffy and Angel should've ended with the tv show. Joss should've been brave enough to say that Buffy had gotten over them both by Angel S5 'TGIQ' and her briefly dated the Immortal- who would've been a cliche amalgam of both the Angel and Spike tropes; possibly eeevil, terrible past, but oh so pretty. It would've been fantastic, it would've been subversive of another cliche. In other words, it would've been Buffy.

Then by the comics Buffy has dumped him the Immortal oaf because shes 'over' that doomed bad boy type.

Instead, unlike her best friends- Xander who's dating somebody new, and Willow who's dating somebody new- she's stuck on the same relationship merry-go-round.

In the comics:

Bangel feels 'more' done to me, so that's why I prefer it. It ended with a 'BANG'- a stupid, contrived space bang actually- and I don't see it coming back (I don't think it ever should, Angel grew away from being the 'possibly evil boyfriend' a while ago). So yeah, it went from being a twee teen romance (which seemed a bit stale even then) to being headachingly stupid destiny/universe crap. Fail

Spuffy is a somewhat sadder case since it really now feels like dull happy families fan-fic, it feels like it's ending on a wimper. Spike is a Scooby, he's friends with Xander and all the others like him now, his vampirism isn't that much of an obstacle to him at all- he walks around during the day with a blanket draped over him (same old, same old I guess) and has NO dark side to speak of. he and Buffy are so 'happy' (although I don't see much evidence of this from Spike himself) and there's little in the way of natural angst (because there was never any nature barrier between them except Buffy's lack of feeling for Spike) so, when it does end (this go around) it'll most likely be from outside forces (again contrived)

I mean, how do you keep a relationship interesting when one person loves (and will always love) the other 'no matter what'. Basically you don't, its a fantasy, they go away, they change, they come back, they still love and cherish you. Boring. Fail.

When's the last time Buffy had to work at to finding a lasting romantic happiness like the rest of us do? Does anybody else get followed around by superpowered hunks who are devoted to this centrally important figure in their life that somehow defines their whole existence?

Nope. (At least I don't. And I'm glad of it) We date, we takes breaks, we get closer to friends or co-workers, we find out new sides to people we thought we knew and see them in a new light...

That would be different, that would be interesting.

Featured Fanart

VisionBoy makes his own Angel & Faith dvd covers and lots of other great art… check it out! Vision Boy's Gallery

oz_zpsgnjngd3q.jpg

Drabble, by Sosa Lola Drabble: A Night at the Library

Sometimes Giles stayed overnight at the library. Long hours of research and trying to keep the world going and what have you.

“You know what they say about vampires and a public school library,” Buffy argued. “I don’t wanna find your insides scattered all over your dusty books. Get your research on at home, where it’s safe.”

So, tonight, upon a persistent demand from his slayer, he decided to treat himself to a home cooked meal and catch up on some reading.

Turning off the lights in his office, he noticed a crossbow Buffy had forgotten on the table. He put it back in its place inside the book cage. If it wasn’t for that tiny shift, Giles wouldn’t have noticed the figure huddled in the corner. With a squint, he was able to make out Xander’s sleeping face in the dark, half hidden under a thin blanket.

A long pondering stare before he headed back to his office, turned on the lights and seized a book.

Sometimes Giles stayed overnight at the library.

Blast from the past

100 episodes of Angel… you know, before those kids in the pictures were teenagers, like they are now…

That's it for now, please leave your comments below! Thanks for reading and keep Buffy-Boarding! :D

Last edited:
S
Spanky
Great job
thetopher
thetopher
Always lots goin' on. :)
Blaze
Blaze
Amazing! Thank you!
Athena
Athena
This is great - thanks Taake! :-)

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
Ok.. that Charisma picture is a thing of nightmares. Seriously. Wow.

GwenRaiden

AKA Apology Girl
Black Thorn
Reminds me of ANTM when they make the contestants up as men to model.

Athena

The original one-eyed chicklet
Staff member
Black Thorn
I had no idea Seth & Sarah were such good friends - so cute! :)

Great newsletter. This place just keeps getting better & better...

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
I love Seth and SMG! That Dudes and Dragons movie looks terrible. But I like rom-coms so I might check out Timer.

Taake

I do doodle. You too. You do doodle, too.
Staff member
Black Thorn
I love Seth and SMG! That Dudes and Dragons movie looks terrible. But I like rom-coms so I might check out Timer.

Timer wasn't terrible. It wasn't the best movie ever, but it was a cute enough rom-com. :) I liked Emma in it.

Fuffy Baith
Fuffy Baith
Oh good!
Top Bottom