• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Buffy-Boards Newsletter - issue 63 - June/July/August 2017

Taake

I do doodle. You too. You do doodle, too.
Staff member
Black Thorn
hyjzTfz.png

There’s No Place Like Plrtz Glrb

Welcome to the Buffy Boards Newsletter! Grab some popcorn, take a seat, and enjoy…

… and Potentials look here!

New to BB - these are the places to go! Check In; is where you introduce yourself (now don't be shy, we know you want to and we want to know!), Bad Eggs; is where you find guidance ... we all need a little help from time to time, so who best to help you than your very own personal guide to BB? Last but not least Angel Investigations - is where we help the helpless! If you still find yourself with unanswered questions after reading through the FAQ, then this is your next stop. Have a browse through the forum and see if other people have already asked your question and find your answer and if you still need to know something then start a thread in Angel Investigations and we will answer it ASAP.

Please also remember that we have a Confidential Member Concerns Area that you can post in if you would like to keep your enquiry private. Only you and the Board Staff will be able to view it.

Please be sure to read the FAQ before you post. Help | Buffy-Boards

3ZJQVna.png

Firefly re-watch
Is drawing to a close! Tune in and watch “Objects in Space” with us!
BB Firefly Rewatch

Scooby Spotlight
Is back baby! Sign up here New Weekly Feature: Getting to Know You (Scooby Spotlight)

Book & Fanfic clubs
Do you not get enough Spuffy in your life? Do you love fanfic but lack people to talk to about it? Have no fear, go into the Spuffy fan forum and join in on a fanfic discussion! Discussing Fanfic - Otherwise by Sigyn

cmAAn2o.png

Podcast Episode 14 is out! Genuinely! Listen to us talk spin-offs that never were – from Ripper, Faith and Spike to Slayer School. Listen, then tell us what you thought here Once More, with Podcast Episode 14: Spike the Faith School Ripper: The Animated Series

DRnDxzg.png

*As I’m sure many of you know James Marsters compared Buffy to Star Trek in a recent article, if you haven’t read it already, check it out!

Whatever your job is, you hope to do something that matters and lasts. Being a “Star Trek” fan, I was on the set of “Buffy” telling the cast we could be the new “Star Trek." I was aware that in a science fiction or fantasy series, if you can create a world that is interesting to the audience, even after they’ve memorized the dialogue and they know how the plot plays out - if that’s still a world they want to come back to, they will keep coming back. As I was watching "Buffy," I noticed there’s this sparkle or interestingness. I used to say that if you can find some way to make something interesting, terrifying or funny to happen every 30 seconds, then you have a successful television series. If you can do it every 15 seconds you’ve got a hit, and if you can do it every four seconds you’ve really got something going on. And I was noticing that "Buffy" was doing it every four seconds, like clockwork. And if we become the new "Star Trek" then I claim Spock. Spock Spike, Spike Spock - either way.

James Marsters explains why 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' is this generation's 'Star Trek'

*Do you wake up sometimes and think “there’s not enough Julie Benz in my life?” well, no worries, go check out “That one audition” podcast to hear Ms. Benz speak of her experiences!

http://instagr.am/p/BXiRjeQDuxs/

*Speaking ofpodcasts, Sarah Michelle Gellar will appear on the No Limits podcast with Rebecca Jarvis

*With The Gifted – Fox, Oct 2nd - Amy Acker will be back on the small screens!

*David Boreanaz is also returning to the screen this fall with CBS’ SEAL Team

SEAL TEAM Video - SEAL TEAM - First Look

*SMG also went Chocolate shopping in Peru

Sarah Michelle (@SarahMGellar) | Twitter
and dared her favorite Buffy nerds to share some old headshots
Tom Lenk (@tomlenk) | Twitter

James Marsters and Nick Brendon also joined in on the fun!

*Eliza Dushku is working on a movie called “Mapplethorpe” and recently got engaged
http://instagr.am/p/BWLRd01jbUZ/
*Wales comic con (December) features a few familiar faces GUESTS – Official – Wales Comic Con

*Alan Tudyk’s Con man is now available in the UK

*Joss Whedon was outed as a cheater by ex-wife Kai Cole which caused quite a stir, he was also given an official credit for his work on the Justice League

Joss Whedon Is a 'Hypocrite Preaching Feminist Ideals,' Ex-Wife Kai Cole Says (Guest Blog)

Joss Whedon Gets Justice League Writing Credit

*Whedonesque shut down, but will live on in the Twitterverse

UTq361P.png

Quote of the month

@HelloIAmHawt Ripper the series

I think a Ripper series could still sell, though not quite as easily as it may have closer to the end of the Buffy series. IMO, a Buffy reboot would be a huge waste of time and energy--would it take place in the Buffyverse as it exists in the comic books (no one is ready to re-cast Spike and Buffy, c'mon)? Would it just be a re-hashing of seasons 1-7 with new faces (that is, a teen girl in HS fighting demons)? I'm just not sure what anyone expects from that, it could possibly work as a movie, but I'd prefer it be a long ways away (not that my preferences matter).

The idea of Ripper being done as a webseries is pretty cool, but would love to see it on a streaming service (vs. cable). And further, I think it would be best done as a mini-series (with intention to be one, not a show that gets cancelled or goes on so long that they run out of ideas and make it a suck-fest for cash). With a streaming service it could have a lot of freedom to get as dark as it damn well pleases. The best place would be a bit before Giles et al started getting high on Ehygon. Perhaps even just when he starts to become the human that will be known as Ripper so we can see him go from innocent schoolboy to badass magick Giles. If we're going for mini-series, that might be a bit much, but I can see this being done in a 2 season series with 6 episodes (each at least 50 minutes, if the contract allows) per season, so semantics might just call that a television series.

So, season one, episode one, we'd have Ruppie, teacher's pet, affable man, aged about 20 (he drops out of Oxford at 21 and that's around when he dumps the Watcher responsibility). To really appreciate where he goes, we need to know where he's been. The episode starts with some really bright shots as we watch our sweet boy. As the episode goes on the lighting will get murkier and murkier, ending with the Highgate Vampire incident (comics--he and four watchers are sent to kill a vamp, but it's actually a demon that slaughters all but Giles). This is the precipitating factor of his ideological turn. TBH, we don't have to stick to comics, and if something else makes more sense, I'm all for it--I have a few ideas, but I think the pre-existing incident works pretty well. I'd say a murky lighting should be used throughout the rest of the series until the very end when he starts his next large ideological change.

Episode-to-episode we could move a bit more forward in time than some shows might, as these will all be structured a bit like mini-movies. So after episode one we jump into the thickish of it, him and his new friends in the nearish future dressed in street punk garb and being little baddies--raising demons for hire, raising tiny demons to irritate enemies (okay that might be awful, but I want it), stealing from shops, chain-smoking in alleys, etc. We focus on Ripper breaking away from his old ideals and finding new ones, a lot of internal struggle and the like, as well as some monster-of-the-week stuff to keep people watching. In season one's finale we have Ripper and his coven raise Ehygon for the first time. Season two would focus on all the issues that arise from that, the pleasure they find, the power they possess, and finally, the death of Randall. Over these two seasons it would be important to make all members of the crime coven lovable, though incredibly flawed, perhaps even with their own "how we got here" backstories thrown in (I'm not necessarily saying we go full ensemble cast, but I'm not looking for all of these people to just be plot points for our main character). This will make Randall's death particularly painful, and it will start with Ripper's return Giles-dom.

In terms of who will be cast for this? My best thought for Ripper is Thomas Brodie-Sangster--I think it's important to have an all-British cast, he's age-appropriate (ish, he's about 27 now, but that baby face), and he's a reasonable amount of attractive. Obviously no one is going to be as great as ASH, but I think he could give it a go. Defo open to other suggestions on this. A quick google search also brought up an appropriate-looking actor named Sam Crane, but I've not seen him in anything so I'm not sure he's up for the task. Perhaps Frank Dillane for Ethan, but he might be a bit too pretty. I'd probably ignore what we know about the looks of the others so we can get some POC up in this shit (Micheala Coel for Dierdre, damnit!).

So I didn't expect to go on so long on this. Joss, if you're reading, I don't even want you to make this, I want to make this, so please give me whatever rights are necessary--shoot me a message and we can get this drafted up. You can help on it if you want, but I'm the boss.

@white avenger in Was Riley set up to fail?

I don't think that Riley was intentionally a throwaway character, but he was included in the cast as a new love interest for Buffy with a "let's wait and see" clause. Maybe they even planned to have Adam kill him at the end of Season 4, but he got a reprieve, on the hopes that he would grow on the audience, but it just never worked out. Maybe he was supposed to leave for awhile, then return and renew his affair with Buffy later, the way that Angel did in Season 3, but they decided that Sarah worked better with James than she ever did with Marc. Who knows? The "Buffy" series was always a work in progress, constantly trying new ideas and plot twists. I'm just grateful that no one ever got the idea for a Buffy/Giles pair up. Biles, indeed.

Art of the month

Check out @Puppet art! Sharing my own banner art
tvbzs6H.png

Blast from the past
A couple of years ago Nathan Fillion appeared on the show “Dinner at Tiffani’s”, Julie Benz also appeared in one of the show’s lunch specials.

Ta-ta for now!
BPoKLWa.png

And a big thank you to @GwenRaiden for the stunning art made for this newsletter!

GwenRaiden
GwenRaiden
Great newsletter! Lots of bits I've missed or haven't read before!
Puppet
Puppet
Wow, art of the month in my first month, awesome, thanks! :D
Blaze
Blaze
Awesome as always! I love that pic of Danny

GwenRaiden

AKA Apology Girl
Black Thorn
Danny Strong's headshot omg, awww. He is the cutest.

I'm kinda looking forward to The Gifted. As much as it is centred around the teenage kids, Amy will most likely be the star.

Taake

I do doodle. You too. You do doodle, too.
Staff member
Black Thorn
Danny Strong's headshot omg, awww. He is the cutest.

I'm kinda looking forward to The Gifted. As much as it is centred around the teenage kids, Amy will most likely be the star.

I knooow, he's such a cutie.
I hadn't heard about The Gifted until I saw the trailer, if it sails across the pond on some streaming service I'll definitely check it out, if only for Amy :)

Athena

The original one-eyed chicklet
Staff member
Black Thorn
Great job lovelies!

I too am very excited for The Gifted, 'cause mutants, but Amy Acker does bring a touch of class to proceedings ;)

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
Yay the newsletter is back! Awesome! Did not know about the podcasts for Julie and Sarah, that's cool. Love Danny Strong's throwback photo! SMG just put up a pic of her and him to promote his new movie that he directed, forgot the name of it. Not really interested in The Gifted but will only give it a try because I love Amy Acker!

VisionGirl

Newly Human
Sineya
Can anyone tell me where I can find the big discussion thread on the Kai Cole letter? I know I saw it last week but I can't find it now and search isn't helping. I really need to read and discuss. Thanks!

Top Bottom