• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Question Couple questions

Hollypop

Townie
So, is it considered preferable not to reply in a comment? I noticed someone’s signature said not to talk to them in a comment if you want them to respond to you. it seems like you can’t say very much in a comment but I’m not sure the better way to reply to a person. Also, why would certain threads say that I don’t have privileges to respond here?

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
So, is it considered preferable not to reply in a comment? I noticed someone’s signature said not to talk to them in a comment if you want them to respond to you. it seems like you can’t say very much in a comment but I’m not sure the better way to reply to a person.
I have replied here to your post by using the reply button on the lower right of your post. It automatically copies your post and you can edit what it copies - if it is a large post or if only a few lines are what you are responding to, you can edit out what you don't need as I have done with the last sentence in your post. There is no corresponding way to do any of this with a comment. To copy a comment (so people can see what you are responding to), you have to do a copy function like that in Word where you delineate the text you want to copy, hit copy, then paste it into your reply space. It is more of a pain to do this than to reply, so some people don't reply to comments at all. It has been the policy of @Buffy Summers who is the owner and chief moderator of this forum to not reply to comments.

Lack of privileges to reply may occur when the thread has reached 200 posts and a new thread is started to continue the conversation. We have had thousands of posts in the what are you listening to / what are you watching / movie review threads and these are usually broken up into blocks of about 200 posts each. It can also happen if a thread is too contentious or violates the rules of the board, such as discussion of politics. Old threads stay for a while then go into the Sunnydale Cemetery section where they can be found but not replied to.

thrasherpix

Scooby
As for me personally, I'll use a comment box if I just want to say something brief, especially if it's not entirely on topic, or just some minor point of order or some such. It's actually not a feature I'm used to (I've only seen it on this board) so (like other features) I'm not entirely consistent with it (especially if it's just before bed or after waking up).

Also as a rule of thumb, I won't reply to something in the comment box because I assume they didn't want a reply (otherwise they'd have replied normally), but that doesn't mean I'm offended or bothered by them. If a comment is a question I'll even answer it (though confused why it was in the comment box rather than a reply). If a brief comment REALLY impresses me to the point of exciting me at the thought I might also reply (in which case I'll add an "@" just before their name so they should be alerted to it).

The only way it will annoy me is when someone basically cyberstalks me to leave a bunch of a negative passive aggressive comments, but that hasn't happened in a long time (and I can only remember two who did it so it's very rare). Come to think of it, I put them both on Ignore and maybe that's why I'm not seeing it anymore. But it has to be persistent and directed at me negatively than my comment. Otherwise I don't care and can appreciate them. Most comments are friendly enough (even if it's a disagreement) and sometimes encouraging or throws something in I hadn't thought of, so I usually appreciate them even though I only rarely reply to them (and there are plenty of comments I'd have given a Like to had I been able to).

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
You can use the comments to reply, however it is limited to how much you can say. Also if you want to be part of the discussion it's better to actually reply or people may not see the comment.

ILLYRIAN
ILLYRIAN
As an example of what was just said, I agree. If you want the person to see the comment use @Hollypop

Hollypop

Townie
I have replied here to your post by using the reply button on the lower right of your post. It automatically copies your post and you can edit what it copies - if it is a large post or if only a few lines are what you are responding to, you can edit out what you don't need as I have done with the last sentence in your post. There is no corresponding way to do any of this with a comment. To copy a comment (so people can see what you are responding to), you have to do a copy function like that in Word where you delineate the text you want to copy, hit copy, then paste it into your reply space. It is more of a pain to do this than to reply, so some people don't reply to comments at all. It has been the policy of @Buffy Summers who is the owner and chief moderator of this forum to not reply to comments.

Lack of privileges to reply may occur when the thread has reached 200 posts and a new thread is started to continue the conversation. We have had thousands of posts in the what are you listening to / what are you watching / movie review threads and these are usually broken up into blocks of about 200 posts each. It can also happen if a thread is too contentious or violates the rules of the board, such as discussion of politics. Old threads stay for a while then go into the Sunnydale Cemetery section where they can be found but not replied to.
Wow thanks, reading your response I feel kinda like a "hootsie" (quoting Beck from YOU)for not getting that on my own. I appreciate the clarity of your reply, it was very thoughtful and helpful. Yes, this reply option is much better and clearer. Not sure why the comment button pops out at me like the it's the way to go, at first; its counterintuitive.
As for the reply privileges, your example is exactly what I was reading it was a thread asking what ppl were into and yes it seemed like it had hundreds of responses and I was using search so it was probably older. I understand all that now also! Your explaination is much appreciated.

You can use the comments to reply, however it is limited to how much you can say. Also if you want to be part of the discussion it's better to actually reply or people may not see the comment.
Thanks! Got it now I believe. Comment option is unique for me, like it's posing as how to reply and I just overlooked the one that ACTUALLY says REPLY lol.

Last edited:

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
If you don't want to quote someone, then just keep scrolling to the bottom of the page and you'll see the reply box, just type and hit post reply.

Hollypop

Townie
It's actually not a feature I'm used to (I've only seen it on this board) so (like other features) I'm not entirely consistent with it (especially if it's just before bed or after waking up).

If a comment is a question I'll even answer it (though confused why it was in the comment box rather than a reply).
Dude you have nailed it for me. It just duped me to see the little bubble; it is confusing as to the purpose of commenting at all at first. Thanks for the thorough explanation, your response really gives a full idea of how one might want to use the comment option, if at all, and why it's not a good way to ask a question.

If you don't want to quote someone, then just keep scrolling to the bottom of the page and you'll see the reply box, just type and hit post reply.
Thanks! Will do.

Hollypop

Townie

Your explaination is everything. I really appreciate the time. You really clarified things for me. You should teach. You're the man.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
But he's Canadian and puts maple syrup on EVERYTHING. 😂😂

:p
Have you ever had Quebec sugar pie? We had some Americans up for a design review of one of our engineering projects who thought we were putting them on until we ordered some for them. Think of maple sugar candy baked into a pie. Then go eat a 45 degree sector of a 10-inch pie. No diabetic will survive it. Design reviews go better when your customer is in a coma.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

God King of the Primordium
Black Thorn
Have you ever had Quebec sugar pie? We had some Americans up for a design review of one of our engineering projects who thought we were putting them on until we ordered some for them. Think of maple sugar candy baked into a pie. Then go eat a 45 degree sector of a 10-inch pie. No diabetic will survive it. Design reviews go better when your customer is in a coma.
I've never had it, but I LOVE sweets. I ate Key Lime pie four nights in a row. And I never want to see it again. 😂

HowiMetdaSlayer
HowiMetdaSlayer
I ♥ a good key lime pie!

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
But really, you could tell when a letter came from im, the envelope was sticky and smelt like maple. E was glad when Canada started to get the computer, mind you them sticky keyboards are just plain .. .. ..

Top Bottom