• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Fan Club Forums

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
Even the most unprogressive organization in the world, the Roman Catholic church, invented the office of "devil's advocate" (advocate meaning lawyer, not an actual devil worshipper) and his job was to present arguments against the doctrine so that other scholars would have to actually defend their positions and keep their intellects from becoming flabby. This was no "softball" position either - the devil's advocate was required to be competent and persuasive and capable of generating strong positions against doctrine or he was replaced by someone else who would do the job. It should be the same with shippers - they should welcome well thought-out opposition so they can explain their positions. However, in the shipper wars of two years ago, we saw that well thought-out arguments were the exception rather than the rule, so it might not work here.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Well I like the idea of fan-clubs , not only for ships but also for characters, that way people can connect on a more precise level with each other than on the level of houses. And I would say that joining one club would not necessarily exclude you from joining an other, since a person can be Fuffy, a fan, of say Angel and a Bangel simultaneously. As for negative / critical post there might be a thread within the club thread, which is specially for that matter or a battle-counter argument thread.
Alternatively, there might be signatures, which also would be not mutually exclusive, just to show fans, which fans are close to them in which matter and make connection easier.

Good point. Its the same as people who suggest that you can only like either Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings, or that either you're a Stones fan or a Beatles fan. White Stripes or the Strokes, etc...

Sternbeeere

Glory´s sane(?) groupie
Additionally, if there are fan clubs, fans who are not into a character/ship can read other fans opinions and maybe get a new impression of that ship/ character.

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
However, in the shipper wars of two years ago, we saw that well thought-out arguments were the exception rather than the rule, so it might not work here.

I just want to say that this sounds ominous and I would like to hear the tale of the shipper wars of two years ago (well now three years ago)... lol

thrasherpix

Scooby
Good point. Its the same as people who suggest that you can only like either Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings, or that either you're a Stones fan or a Beatles fan. White Stripes or the Strokes, etc...

Gods, yes. That is so mystifying to me, especially when the differences are so trivial as to not matter in any significant way (less than stripes vs polka dots), but people have to divide themselves into tribes over it with hostility for the "other side." One of the school problems a girl I helped to raise was having when I first joined that family was how vicious (including vandalism and cruel cyberstalking) tween girls were to each other over "Miley/Hannah vs. Selena/Wizards of Waverly Place" (and gods forbid one liked both as both sides would come down on them). Unfortunately, too many adults engage in this immature behavior as well (though over other subjects and fandoms).

Top Bottom