• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Hello (so original!)

Stake fodder

Soulless
Hello all! Just introducing myself as a relatively new fan. I only started watching "Buffy" about 18 months ago, and then it became my pandemic binge show. I recently finished it and decided to start over because a) I forgot a lot of stuff from the beginning, b) I bought the DVDs, and c) a friend started watching. I haven't yet watched "Angel", but am looking forward to starting it. I wouldn't say I have a favorite season yet, but I felt like the writing and plots got better and more involving as the show went on (the opposite of a lot of TV shows).

I discovered this board about a month ago, and have read through some of the official episode threads. I have to say, I've been really impressed with the level of discussion here, lots of great insight and analysis that enhances my enjoyment of the show. Now that I'm starting over, I thought maybe I'd have some things to add. I'm looking forward to chatting!

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
Welcome to the forum! The intelligence on this board has kept me coming back for more for the past eight years and as fan forums go, this place is reasonably friendly. There are a few animated members who lock antlers from time to time but I just sit back and watch - I have nothing to prove and internet validation is only worth the paper it's not printed on anyway. One of my favourite pieces of analysis was the suggestion that Willow's spells in "Something Blue" were never properly cancelled and for the rest of the show, Buffy loves Spike, Giles is effectively blind and Xander remains a demon magnet.

Angel has a different feel to it - the show is about adults rather than high-schoolers and redemption through fighting demons rather than just fighting demons. Much of the show takes place at night except in Season 5 where a building with Necro-Tempered glass lets vampires stand in the sunlight. Some people prefer it to Buffy but a lot of it has ideas that are more extreme than those used in Buffy. The theme music in both shows typifies the mood entirely - Buffy is a frenetic rock theme and Angel has a more adult sound reminiscent of a fine wine. There are some crossover episodes in both shows. Give it a try.

thrasherpix

Scooby
Welcome!

With a name like "Stake fodder" I have a feeling that you and I might get along well. (My board name is done out of laziness, but the kitten avatar is self-depreciating humor, the cat having been shot accidentally by Dawn with a crossbow, so similar to the spirit of "stake fodder." I've thought about changing my name to Moloch and keeping the kitten avatar as that would amuse me even more.)

Moggin

Tasty Townie
Welcome! I'm a Covid era convert as well. Can't wait to hear the new perspectives!

Nix

🤪
Sineya
Welcome to Buffy land :) Glad to hear you found the show and yes do watch Angel, it's awesome! I actually prefer it as I find it darker!

whatdBuffyDo

Potential
Sineya
Welcome to the boards! I've started Buffy just a few months ago and still haven't finished it. 😄 Hope you have fun here!🌞

Kratos

Scooby
Welcome. Glad to hear that you’re enjoying BtVS. It also has a good mix of standalone and serialized episodes. Something I miss about newer tv dramas.

Who are your favourite characters?

Last Watcher

Tweed Icon
Sineya
Hello there! Welcome to the Boards :)

Always good to have new converts. You bring new perspectives to the show we all love so much!

Love the username 👍 :D

Stake fodder

Soulless
Wow, thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!

One of my favourite pieces of analysis was the suggestion that Willow's spells in "Something Blue" were never properly cancelled and for the rest of the show, Buffy loves Spike, Giles is effectively blind and Xander remains a demon magnet.
See, that is just the kind of thing I meant! I never thought of that, and now i need to see that episode again.

There are some crossover episodes in both shows.
The crossovers drove me nuts! I'd have to go look up a synopsis for the matching "Angel" show to see what happened. I liked him on "Buffy", but for me, he became some guy who showed up once a season to declare his undying love for Buffy.... then leave two minutes later, which seemed a bit eccentric;) . So it will be interesting to see what he was doing in the meantime (besides pining, ha ha). I may try to watch it so the episodes match up. "Necro-Tempered glass" - love it!

With a name like "Stake fodder" I have a feeling that you and I might get along well. (My board name is done out of laziness, but the kitten avatar is self-depreciating humor, the cat having been shot accidentally by Dawn with a crossbow, so similar to the spirit of "stake fodder." I've thought about changing my name to Moloch and keeping the kitten avatar as that would amuse me even more.)
Dawn shot a kitten? Aw, Puppy, er, Kitty! I'm not too dark, but liked the humor of the name. Hmm, if I'd known one could change their name, I wouldn't have spent so long deciding if mine should be one word, or both words capitalized, or what. I fussed excessively, thinking I had only the one chance!

Who are your favourite characters?
I guess I like best the ones that have the most involved plot arcs, because I live for the complex character study: Willow, Spike, and of course, Buffy herself; and probably Angel, once I've seen his show. But I like (and hate) all of them at times!

Thanks again for the welcome! I probably should have divided this into separate comments, but I'm learning the ropes.

Antho

Scooby
Angel, once I've seen his show. But I like (and hate) all of them at times!
If you decide to see it, please do share your thoughts on the topic episode discussions.. it’s not an obligation of course but I like reading post/réactions of new people discovering a show.. even more when the show is Angel

Stake fodder
Stake fodder
I will try to do so!

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
So, you like watching the episodes over and over do you? What about when Willow was outside chatting to Buffy, she was showing her powers of concentration by spinning the pencil in the air, before it went back to its roots. Wooden pencil - tree, you get the drift. Anyway, do you have freeze frame on your DVD player, can you see what is written on the pencil?
Oh yeah and, er, hello!

Stake fodder
Stake fodder
What episode was this in?

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
@Stake fodder,
oh damn, a technical question, crap.
I thought about it, long and hard
Willow spinning the pencil was her way of showing off to Buffy,
Willows comment was aren't you naturally Buff Buff?
Also Willow said it took personal control to keep it going
despite her dislike of Faith so that put it after Faith had killed a guy

Luckily it is a favourite episode of mine. So the answer is Doppelgangland, Season 3 Episode 16.

Stake fodder

Soulless
do you have freeze frame on your DVD player, can you see what is written on the pencil?
I checked, but the writing on the pencil just blurs in zoom. That's a problem with stuff done originally on film, rather than digital. It just looked like the typical brand-name stuff, though.

This is definitely something you and I have in common, though, wanting to focus in on the details! I am constantly zooming in to see what kind of stuff the characters have, though I rarely find a real "easter egg." One that I did find was that Spike had "The Wiz" album, before his collection was blown up in "As You Were." Hinton Battle (Sweet in "Once More with Feeling") was in the original Broadway version of that.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
The first time I heard of the term 'an easter egg' was in the episode of Dr. Who - Blink probably the best ever episode of Dr. Who. Was that the same for you?

Stake fodder

Soulless
The first time I heard of the term 'an easter egg' was in the episode of Dr. Who - Blink probably the best ever episode of Dr. Who. Was that the same for you?
I have never watched Dr. Who. I'm a completist when it comes to shows and I knew I could never catch up! But my first understanding of "Easter eggs" was as hidden DVD extras. Only later did I know of the idea of inside jokes in TV shows, and I think it was "Lost" that introduced me to that.

Top Bottom