• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Male Role Model

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
Who, if any, would you say is a good male role model in Buffy or Angel?

Miss Muffet

"Can I trade in the children for more cash?"
Sineya
Gunn - He starts at the bottom, and while he accepts that's how life is, he also takes the opportunities that come his way (like when he agreed to get paid by AI). He cares for all his people, works hard at his job (both AI and W&H), and while he makes mistakes, he acknowledges them

Antho
Antho
100% with you

nightshade

Staff member
Black Thorn
For Girls, I would say Tara. She is loyal, honest and she has a big heart ❤️. She always tries to take the best decisions for everyone, she is there for all, she doesn’t judge people.. yeah Tara is a good person
She is however female, not male!

nightshade

Staff member
Black Thorn
Ahhhhh I misread 😔😔 ( it happens to me quite often this day) I read “Male/female role model” sorry never mind my message above. Delete it if you want.
No worries, I was just thinking there's more female role models in the shows, like Tara, but who are the male ones

Antho
Antho
I will come back later to respond for men. Right now I need some sleep 😴 ahah

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Joss would say Buffy is the male role model, then scold you for daring to think that couldn't be a possibility. But you know Joss really believes Parker to be role model, a mid twenties pretty boy who convinced college girls to sleep with him through the power of continental philosophy.

But really, it's not that kind of show. Which is weird, as you would think it would exactly be that type of show.

nightshade

Staff member
Black Thorn
Xander, he is for the people that didn't go to college, not a high achiever in school, went from job to job, but he found his way into a good job in construction.

Of course he had other issues, but just looking at his education and career I think that way he's a good role model.

Hunga Munga

Scooby
Also he was a stalwart companion . It's all well and good being a hero when you've got training ,superpowers or magic . Xander did it with nothing but force of will . I admire his character for that .

Plasma

The Second Sister
Staff member
Black Thorn
How have I not seen Giles pop up yet?

He is loyal, he was never afraid to speak his mind, he stood up for Buffy and for what he believed in, and when his moral values were compromised he resisted and borderline refused. He was always there when people needed him to be and he managed to overcome his rough past by his own will and strength.

RachM
RachM
Except for that time he basically abandoned a traumatised and PTSD-ridden Buffy who clearly needed his support ...

famicommander

Scooby
Giles is mostly great. He along with everybody else betrayed Buffy at the start of season 3, during the test at her 18th birthday, and during the season 7 attempted murder of Spike, but otherwise he's pretty consistently acting in Buffy's best interest.

Lorne is a good guy most of the time, though he does tend to buddy up with some pretty irredeemable demons from time to time.

And that's really about it. The rest of the male characters are pretty pathetic most of the time.

Xander - not evil, but pretty selfish and insecure. Consistently undermines the agency of his female friends, leaves Anya at the altar, sics Faith on Angel, etc
Riley - controlling manbaby with mommy issues
Andrew - goes along with the kidnapping, attempted rape, and accidental killing of Katrina; also tortures Buffy for pretty much no reason
Oz - cheats on Willow, splits town every time things get too hard
Spike - spends most of the series as a being of evil; after he gets his soul he and Angel are still possessive and obsessive about Buffy
Angel - stalker, statutory rapist, hypocrite, whiner; kills Drogyn, never really learns anything or progresses as a person as we see in "The Girl in Question"
Connor - bigger manbaby than Riley
Gunn - dooms Fred because he's insecure, denies her agency when he kills her professor on her behalf
Wesley - goes all emo and sleeps with a child murderer, massive daddy issues

Gunn is mostly a decent guy but they really assassinated his character in Angel seasons 4 and 5.

Bop

Scooby
Sineya
I think the role model you need depends on who you are in the first place so it could be a few of them in different ways. But I guess if I were to have a son and ask him to emulate any of them, Lorne comes to mind. He's sweet but he's not really too passive like Tara and he is loyal and he doesn't agree with bad things that happen, he's against violence, but by the end of the show he does kill Lindsey so he knows when to accept nuance in his beliefs too. If I ever have a son though their name will be Wesley or Connor so if they want to look to them I can spin that in a positive way 😂

RachM

I'm busy. I'm brooding.
Gunn - He starts at the bottom, and while he accepts that's how life is, he also takes the opportunities that come his way (like when he agreed to get paid by AI). He cares for all his people, works hard at his job (both AI and W&H), and while he makes mistakes, he acknowledges them
Absolutely agree with this! Gunn is a great role-model.

I'd also agree with those who nominated Xander, especially in his older years. He was an idiot as a teen who grew into a solid and dependable man.

Stake fodder

What about my me?
I think the role model you need depends on who you are in the first place so it could be a few of them in different ways. But I guess if I were to have a son and ask him to emulate any of them, Lorne comes to mind. He's sweet but he's not really too passive like Tara and he is loyal and he doesn't agree with bad things that happen, he's against violence, but by the end of the show he does kill Lindsey so he knows when to accept nuance in his beliefs too. If I ever have a son though their name will be Wesley or Connor so if they want to look to them I can spin that in a positive way 😂
I agree with those who say Giles, Gunn, Xander, and Lorne. They all make mistakes, but role models can't always be perfect. But I liked what @Bop said here about Lorne, and would add that Lorne is not only loyal and supportive, but he will tell people blunt truths that they need to hear sometimes, the act of a true friend.

Also, Lorne's own path is worth emulating: believing in himself despite a family who disapproved of him, and parents who considered eating him. He refused to learn to fight in a warrior clan, because he said he could usually see both sides of the argument (another positive trait). Although it was an accident that he was able to exit Pylea, I think he would still have found a way to be an artist, despite his background.

Taake

I do doodle. You too. You do doodle, too.
Watcher
Black Thorn
While they have their flaws, Angel and Spike are pretty good role models, I’d say. I’ll add Gunn too. They continually grow and learn and change as characters.

granted, it is a bit of a bumpy road for them, but they continue to strive to do better. Just look at them by the Angel finale and how they choose to spend their last day… and the journey that got them there. A role model isn’t necessarily perfect, but someone who shows that there is hope, that whatever you’ve done, you can still try to make amends/be better

So those three get my vote

Top Bottom