• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Poll: Which is Your Favorite Spike?

Which are your favorite incarnations of Spike/William?

• Evil Spike (unchained and threatening)

Votes: 23 41.1%
  • Chipped Spike (impotently evil and hilarious)

Votes: 25 44.6%
  • Lovesick Spike (sexy and complex)

Votes: 17 30.4%
  • Dorky William (sweet and timid)

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Ensouled Spike (contemplative and self-loathing)

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • Champion Spike (self-sacrificing and brave)

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • Bratty Spike (the thorn in Angel's side)

Votes: 16 28.6%

• Total voters

Faded90

Scooby
Funny you mention his hair because James Marsters said that he hated bleaching his hair. In later seasons his hair seemed to look yellow rather than blond and with his age it seemed like a guy having a mid life crisis more than anything.
After Angel finished he shaved it all off and let his normal hair grow out.
I think the lighting used in the Wolfram and Hart offices made it look worse as it made him look so washed out. It’s the same in a couple of the scenes in Buffy’s house in daytime in S7 but it looks a lot better in scenes where there’s more darkness

Btvs fan

Scooby
I think the lighting used in the Wolfram and Hart offices made it look worse as it made him look so washed out. It’s the same in a couple of the scenes in Buffy’s house in daytime in S7 but it looks a lot better in scenes where there’s more darkness

I think your right about the lighting. In the episode Initiative the bright scene of him lying on the floor his looks yellow in that too. Though age is also a factor. James Masters looked great for his age but JM in School Hard is definitely younger than JM in Not Fade Away

Dogs of Winter

Potential
Lovers Walk is probably my favourite Spike episode which is technically Evil Spike, but the way he acts is maybe more impotently evil and hilarious (although I suppose he does kill the shopkeeper which is pretty evil !!)

My favourite Spike season is S4 so I have gone for chipped Spike. I prefer him when he is mixing with lots of different characters and stirring things up, rather than just spending nearly all his time with Buffy

IndianaSolo221

Potential
I’ve been reading the replies on this poll since it was posted and I still can’t seem to pick just one Spike...I keep choosing, like, five.

M
Moggin
You can choose more than one. I did!
TriBel
TriBel
Sigh...if it helps, I chose 5. I'm not good at either compartmentalizing or decision making :D

Btvs fan

Scooby
I chose the evil and threatening Spike from Season 2 and other seasons. I think that Spike was the best one and should have stayed Buffy’s enemy.

That was impossible by S4. He'd been beaten by Buffy while wearing an invincible ring. He'd then attacked Angel with a 2by4 who beat him really easily. By then there was no where really to go on the villain front. Maybe you could've dragged it out Angel for a bit longer but not by much. Plus his Matrix look doesn't really work in a real setting like Ats in LA as opposed to fantasy Sunnydale

Faded90

Scooby
That was impossible by S4. He'd been beaten by Buffy while wearing an invincible ring. He'd then attacked Angel with a 2by4 who beat him really easily. By then there was no where really to go on the villain front. Maybe you could've dragged it out Angel for a bit longer but not by much. Plus his Matrix look doesn't really work in a real setting like Ats in LA as opposed to fantasy Sunnydale
Even his ‘annoying neighbour’ stuff wasn’t working out. Resulting in lots of episodes where he has a scene insults someone and then walks out leaving everyone else to do their thing. S5 of Angel contains a lot of this as well

Nix

🤪
Sineya
Yup, just this.... loved this so much 🥰 🤪

tumblr_muvi7v3Yi91qc542uo3_250.gif

tumblr_muvi7v3Yi91qc542uo5_250.gif

thrasherpix

Scooby
I recently saw a season 5 ep again. I did appreciate him being "the Big Bad looking over Dawn's shoulder" rather than scoring points with Buffy by bringing her back, and as he says, she'd have done it sooner or later anyway even if he had, so might as well get it out of her system.

And one of the few times I sided with Spike so strongly was when he told Buffy, "You didn't think you could keep the truth from her forever, did you? Maybe if you had been more honest with her in the first place, you wouldn't be trying to make yourself feel better with a round of Kick the Spike."

Btvs fan

Scooby
I recently saw a season 5 ep again. I did appreciate him being "the Big Bad looking over Dawn's shoulder" rather than scoring points with Buffy by bringing her back, and as he says, she'd have done it sooner or later anyway even if he had, so might as well get it out of her system.

And one of the few times I sided with Spike so strongly was when he told Buffy, "You didn't think you could keep the truth from her forever, did you? Maybe if you had been more honest with her in the first place, you wouldn't be trying to make yourself feel better with a round of Kick the Spike."

Like I said previously I think Spike worked best not as the Villain or as the Hero but as the anti hero. The guy in the middle. Basically the Doc Holiday to Buffys Wyatt Earp, though the real life Earp actually did commit murder and Doc Holiday did not kill as many as claimed (1 person) and nor did he kill Johnny Ringo either (who most probably committed suicide due to suffering depression)

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
Think Spike should've been de-chipped post season 4. Maybe been a recurring character. Preferably paired with Drusilla.

B
Btvs fan
Im so glad that didnt happen.

Cohen

Hellhound
Having recently been rewatching AtS season 5, I love this version of spike so much better than any of the incarnations on Buffy. Spike in this season is the MOST fun to be around. I don’t know that I would call him “Bratty Spike” though, that seems unfair.

whatdBuffyDo

Scooby
Sineya
My favourite is Chipped Spike of S4. I liked his relationship with Giles and Xander. He was hilarious, too. Hush and A New Man were highlights for him. I am not much of a fan of his character in Something Blue and Pangs though. 🤔
Oh and S3 Lovers Walk was also a highlight of his hilarious character but he wasn’t chipped there. 🤔
I somehow like S5 Spike too.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Conspicuous Only By Its Absence
Black Thorn
For me, Spike is at his absolute best on S2 Buffy and S5 Angel. His devotion to Drusilla was very compelling. And watching him pour out his heart to Joyce was really, really sweet. The fact that he wanted those little marshmallows in his hot chocolate was just too freaking CUTE!

His "relationship" with Illyria (and Angel) was always fun to watch...

Note: I found myself pausing in the middle of this post for A LONG TIME...just re-living the second half of S5! So now, I'm cutting this post short because I need to shower and stuff. 😎

GothicBuffy

Slayer
I liked when Spike was mean. I mean, he permanently set my type as mean blondes. Even though I love many of his season 7 episodes, post soul he kind of lacked that casual meanness that I loved.
Big fan of when he showed emotional depth while keeping the chaotic, violent, and rude vibe. Fool for Love is great at this.

Extraflamey737

"I am,you know..." " What?" "Yours."
S6 spike with the exception of seeing red ,of course. even though he sacrifised himself and the love monologue near the end if S7 is beautiful I had trouble watching spike post seeing red.

But cant S6 spike pin down cause he was evil at times , lovesick mostly.and ensouled the whole time. So can the thread starter explain which poll choice you had in mind for S6 spike.

I know you canchoose several choices but wonder anyway.

Last edited:

Ninjagirl2008

Townie
I voted for evil Spike...at least partly due to recency bias. I just rewatched School Hard and his character introduction is the best. He is so badass and scary. I think he might be the best villain at that point in the show. Even the Master could seem silly at times, but in this episode Spike is pretty terrifying. He sets up a great horror movie scenario when he traps everyone in the school and Buffy has to hunt down vamps one at a time. And the trench coat! Can't beat the trench coat.

Top Bottom