• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

IndianaSolo221

Potential
I watched the first episode of Stranger Things (2016) for the hundredth time yesterday, and I'm always surprised at how much I enjoy it, regardless of how many times I've seen it. Does anyone else on the boards love Stranger Things, or do you stay away from it? I understand that many people who were fans when it first came out are just completely over it now, but I loved the new season and am excited to see what they come up with next.

Joan the Vampire Slayer
Joan the Vampire Slayer
LOVE LOVE that banner!

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
I am definitely a fan, but I've only seen the first season. My intentions are always to watch the rest, but I just haven't gotten around to it, yet.

S
Spanky
Don't bother. All you need to do is see the first season.

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
The first season was brilliant. Only seen it the once though as I'm worried that it won't be as good once you know what's going on. Lose some of the edge of the seat moments. Second season took a big dip, recovered a bit in the third. Still interested to check out what comes next.

T
thrasherpix
Same for me, though I do plan a rewatch in the next month or so before the next season...but if the lock down ends I might change my mind.

Hunga Munga

Scooby
Big fan of the show ...but it's not the sort of text I want to repeat a hundred times . It's an infrequent 'special occasion' type of deal for me . Think I've seen it 3-4 times ? I think it's a lovely little piece of television , not a huge amount of substance to it , but well crafted , in my opinion :) .

Now me , I think season 3 is the best of the lot ... but as an older guy ,I guess it's natural for me to relate more with their adulthood . I am mildly fixated on Scoops Ahoy and Steve Harrington . I love that daft Xander twit . That arc , with Robin , Dustin and Erica , really worked for me :) .

If they ever bother to bring out a Blu ray for the UK , I'll be all over it :)

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
I 💜 Stranger Things. I was like the biggest cheerleader for this show back in summer of 2016. :oops: While I'll agree that season 2 and 3 weren't quite up to the marvel of it's freshmen season. I still thought that it was great overall. Can't wait for season 4! :)

thrasherpix

Scooby
It's on my watchlist, should I watch it ?

Depends what you're into.

It's scifi-horror, and starts off on that theme immediately. There's a strong 70s and 80s elements revived (like bleeding from the nose when one uses psychic powers). But at the same time, much of the small town is ordinary enough which contrasts against the secret dark underbelly. The monsters are often more hinted at (but definitely there with elements comparable to the Poltergeist movie) with full revelations of them rare. That aside, there's a strong Stephen King BOOK flavor to it (I emphasize book as Stephen King movies...probably best not to say, but they're not like this series. There's a "feel" and "tone" to the novels that I feel is better represented in Stranger Things than in actual Stephen King movies.)

Layered over this is a once common "coming of age" theme from the 80s (and should not be mistaken for a kid's show) with boys who are really close, with more characters (not just boys) given more attention as the story progresses. It's both modern and retro, creepy and nostalgic. But you don't have to remember the 80s to enjoy it (and I know one who remembers the 80s poorly who is leery of this show as a result, and that it's good about it only makes it worse for him).

In later seasons the supernatural elements are made more familiar and the "metahuman" (psychics) are also expanded upon (I'm surprised that got nipped in the bud). The third season adds a lot of Cold War elements. I found it pretty funny (as well as tense and tragic) myself, but I only got a light exposure to the Cold War. I'm sure someone who experienced that (by being teens or older in the 80s) would view it differently.

Hunga Munga
Hunga Munga
Great post ! It's rare I agree more with so many words at once :D .

AstridDante

Potential
Love love love this show. First season was amazeballs even though the later seasons haven’t been quite to par, still excited to watch. I just love the 80s goonies type feel, the horror, mystery, comedy and romance it has everything

LemonBanana

Glorious Purpose
Sineya
I LOVE Stranger Things!!!!! Its in my top 3 series to watch and Ive seen the whole of it too many times! I absolutely cant wait for the next season as well!!!!! Glad to know there are some more Stranger Things fans here!

Mr Trick

Scooby
I disagree with people saying it never lived up to the first season. I think season 3 was the best so far. I think the character growth in that season plus the new themes (cold war, malls, Cronenberg/Carpenter monster feel) gave it a fresh feel while still feeling like ST. That's what serialised television is supposed to do. I think its a modern classic. The good thing is the Duffer brothers always had a 4-5 season plan so should know just what their doing. I hear October next year for part 4.

danzalthar

Townie
Great show it is. Its hype ruined it for me, though.
I'll go back to it in a couple years.

thrasherpix

Scooby
I'm one of the very few who actually liked--and saw as necessary for the long term, though I can see how some would see that as too much of a break from the main story--where El runs away and ends up finding another metahuman like herself. I'm hoping for a return of Kali in the next season (not that I'll be crushed if she doesn't show back up) with yet others like herself...and maybe they can figure out what happened to El and/or one of them becomes the next primary host of the Mind Flayer.

whatdBuffyDo

Scooby
Sineya
I love the first season, for me, the best thing about the first season is that the main focus is kids, not teenagers. In the second and third those kids became teenagers and relationship dynamics changed accordingly and I wasn't big of a fan. Though I liked the addition of Robin, the third season had the Mass Effect 3 vibe to it. By that I mean the lore of the universe was sacrificed in favor of fan service, it became even more of a popular-culture-reference show (which it always had been even before) rather than standing on its own. This is not necessarily a bad thing, I enjoy it, but it is not one of the best shows for me anymore. Anyway, I am willing to watch the fourth season and new seasons to come if they make them.

Dogs of Winter

Potential
I loved the first season. It was so fresh and the perfect mix of thrills, laughs, likeable characters, 80 movies, Spielberg and Stephen King, and just like in the best SK novels they got the interaction of the kids spot on.
I was a little disappointed in S2 although it was still entertaining, but S3 was better and is arguably the funniest season so far.
Whereas in S1 I was watching it mainly to see what would happen I probably watch it more for the characters now which is not really a bad thing. In S3 the scenes with Dustin, Steve and Robin, and anything with Joyce in it were especially good

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Yeah S2 was the weakest, 3 really brought the standard back up.

WillowsFaith

Potential
Really Hyped for S4. The kids have grown up so fast😭 I really hope they focus more on the group dynamic and make it more character driven then the last season. And I hope Millie gets some scenes to show she is still a great actress. Have no idea where they are gonna go narrative wise. Anything can happen!

Top Bottom