• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
I'm hoping that they jump ahead in time at least a few years. Otherwise the kids are gonna be too old for their characters.

whatdBuffyDo

Scooby
Sineya
New trailers up! 🙃

Frakkin' heck yeah! - That's all I got to say about that! 😍
It looks fun. Stranger Things and Killing Eve... Two favourites to see in 2022.
I can't imagine watching Stranger Things seasons back to back as a first time watcher a couple of years later. It would be like Steve is trapped in time and the kids just grow very rapidly.

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
To me Killing Eve has kind of spiraled (especially S3) since season 1. However, I did sort of like the final scene.
I'm hoping that it can finish strong! 🤞

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Liked the first two series, 3 was probably quite a bit step down.

whatdBuffyDo

Scooby
Sineya
To me Killing Eve has kind of spiraled (especially S3) since season 1. However, I did sort of like the final scene.
I'm hoping that it can finish strong! 🤞
@HowiMetdaSlayer @Mr Trick
Stranger Things and Killing Eve are the same for me in that sense: both have phenomenal first seasons but get gradually staler. I still like them though, mainly due to characters, cinematography and production design. I like also that they both have a unique spin on well known tropes in their stories. Lastly, even if the quality of the web of events drops down, the spirit of adventure never fares in both. 😄

Mr Trick

Scooby
@HowiMetdaSlayer @Mr Trick
Stranger Things and Killing Eve are the same for me in that sense: both have phenomenal first seasons but get gradually staler. I still like them though, mainly due to characters, cinematography and production design. I like also that they both have a unique spin on well known tropes in their stories. Lastly, even if the quality of the web of events drops down, the spirit of adventure never fares in both. 😄

S2 of ST was the weakest IMO, but I still enjoyed it a lot. I would go along with some people and say S3 was actually the best so far. For character growth alone it was excellent. Plus as a big Carpenter fan I was always going to dig the 80s horror stuff :)

IndianaSolo221

Potential
That's awesome! I thought they'd pushed it into next October.

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Oh true could have been later, I just figured they had it almost ready.

thrasherpix

Scooby
I just finished season 1 Stranger Things in my first rewatch. I've been planning on rewatching this again before the next season came out, but I impulsively started this after a friend of mine died (she, my friend who died, liked the first season herself, but thought it went off the rails after that).

That really was an awesome season...I'd forgotten a lot. It's not just jump scares and geeky humor, but some of those scenes come to a boil very slowly with goosebumps as the payoff. (There's some real history to that, and things like COINTELPRO and the like make some of the things that black ops agency do not seem farfetched, especially if they got those paranormal results.)

I'm going to hold off before watching the next 2 seasons again, however. I don't feel like sharing my personal reasons, but I do plan to get back to it by the end of the year, and I hope I enjoy it almost as much as s1.

And this time I just remembered something that I don't think I caught last time. It reminded me of the old Lovecraft story From Beyond. It's like it included the Upside Down with still more dimensions (and the pineal gland in which the dimensional barrier was breached, along with its energy, is linked by some as a gland that promotes psionic/psychic ability in humans by some belief systems and scifi authors). Here's the claymation of it for those interested:

"These waves will enable you to see things...and to be seen. Therefore it's important to remain perfectly still so as to not attract unwanted attention..."

That last minute made me think of the foreboding results of Will (like in the bathroom where he coughs out that slug).

And from the short story:

"What do we know," he had said, "of the world and the universe about us? Our means of receiving impressions are absurdly few, and our notions of surrounding objects infinitely narrow. We see things only as we are constructed to see them, and can gain no idea of their absolute nature. With five feeble senses we pretend to comprehend the boundlessly complex cosmos, yet other beings with wider, stronger, or different range of senses might not only see very differently the things we see, but might see and study whole worlds of matter, energy, and life which lie close at hand yet can never be detected with the senses we have. I have always believed that such strange, inaccessible worlds exist at our very elbows, and now I believe I have found a way to break down the barriers. I am not joking. Within twenty-four hours that machine near the table will generate waves acting on unrecognized sense organs that exist in us as atrophied or rudimentary vestiges. Those waves will open up to us many vistas unknown to man and several unknown to anything we consider organic life. We shall see that at which dogs howl in the dark, and that at which cats prick up their ears after midnight. We shall see these things, and other things which no breathing creature has yet seen. We shall overleap time, space, and dimensions, and without bodily motion peer to the bottom of creation."

I don't know if it's because of my friend dying (not wanting to talk about that), and maybe my sleep cycle off as well, but this time I was also left with such an existential certainty that our species won't live much longer and that not only will I die, but any memory of us as individuals will as well. I mean absolute certainty, humanity (at least as we know it) isn't long for this world, which the cosmic horror of the Upside Down speaks to.

If humanity does survive for more than a few more generations then I'm sure it will be at the expense of our civilization and the technology and science it depends upon (I'd say back to an age of violent and mind boggling ignorant superstition, but I can't help to think that we're kind of in an age like that now, but it would become worse). In the end, cavemen win (and that's what the last of our species may well be again).

Extinction events from the mundane to the fantastic (some not as fantastic as might first seems) came to mind, and also wondering what some extraterrestrial xenoarcheologists would think upon finding our world (this assumes they don't already know about us). I was even kind of sad yet amused over their being able to reboot our internet and being baffled by spambots still functioning long after we're gone.

But it's a testament to the show's power that it can get me to seriously thinking about such things in addition to being entertained with such a wide range of emotions, from laughing out loud to extreme tension, and sometimes even a bit of both.

Ethan Reigns
Ethan Reigns
Do you remember a life in Atlantis or earlier in Lemuria?
Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Sorry to hear about your friend. Glad you are enjoying ST.

Joan the Vampire Slayer

Carpe Spuffy!
I watched the first episode of Stranger Things (2016) for the hundredth time yesterday, and I'm always surprised at how much I enjoy it, regardless of how many times I've seen it. Does anyone else on the boards love Stranger Things, or do you stay away from it? I understand that many people who were fans when it first came out are just completely over it now, but I loved the new season and am excited to see what they come up with next.
I loved and first season, but not so much the second.

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Third season bounced back strong though.

thrasherpix

Scooby
Finished ST 2 last night with a friend.

I think it was much better on the rewatch that built up nicely, but is much better, perhaps necessary, to binge watch it.

Especially e6 (The Spy) and e7 (The Lost Sister, where El/Jane finds Kali, and happens at the very same time as the previous ep which is shown, like Jane hearing Hopper's message to her that was made in the last ep, and also her reason to return as she sensed the events at the end of the last ep), along with at least part of e8 (the Mind Flayer), long enough where those in Hawkins Lab escape anyway...though really best to the end from there if you can manage it.

(Part I didn't like: Jane didn't try to use her ability to see if the guy she thought was dead was actually alive as the one guy said, and I know she doesn't through the next season.)

I have mixed reactions over putting a malevolent evil (as opposed to just an alien menace and strange new world overlapping ours) trying to invade, because I prefer it as existential and cosmic rather than just something that is pretty much human with something resembling godlike powers (or technology based on psionics rather than combustion and electronics that appear as magic to us, or maybe it has a device unseen that requires universes like ours to fuel it, but I digress).

What this means is that though it may have a clinical understanding that people are individuals, it would still pretty much see us as we would ants or bees...possibly interesting or useful, but not care about any one specific ant or bee (other than sheer utility), perhaps worthy of labels in understanding them, but not naming them (and not care if they named themselves).

Still, it's not TOO personal yet (and thus don't wonder about its motivations as they're likely too alien for me to understand), as it gets in the next season. While it does single out the soldiers, the feeling was that it recognized them as a threat (and it did take what they did personally), but other than trying to impersonate Will that it was linked to, it didn't seem to care about humans as individuals yet.

(Much like how most people stung by a wasp don't focus on that one wasp, but go after them all, at least of the same nest, not caring which particular wasp did it as they consider wasps so beneath them, which is how I'd prefer the "Mind Flayer" to see humanity.) But I know where they take it next season which makes it lose some of its alien cosmic mystique for me, and begs some serious questions that aren't addressed (though maybe I'll change my mind on rewatch).

The tunnels (and nice camera work, like rotating when Hopper descends into one so that he's upside down himself for a moment, which gave me a nice feeling of imagining the air pressure changing drastically as one adjusts, or just a good "You're way out of your jurisdiction" feeling) and the way Will reacts as the Hub is burned gave it a Lovecraftian vibe I liked.

Of course I liked seeing the characters grow. Heh, making a pet of a baby "demo-dog." I could so see that happening (with those results). :D

thrasherpix

Scooby
Just finished ST3...I couldn't explain my reasoning about what I liked and didn't (and why) without giving major spoilers so I'll just say the first half was not as enjoyable to me as the first 2, but the last half more than makes up for it with fantastic payoffs for not only the season but the series.

Mr Trick

Scooby
A new Stranger Things is always an event. Just to think we have this, the final episodes of Ozark and the last season of Better Call Saul all dropping in the next few months.

BuffyNvrForgets

Little Albatross
I was a big fan when I first watched it. Even when season 2 came out. But by season 3, it was clear they were just pulling plotlines out of their bums, just so they could keep making merchandise and draining all their enthralled fans of their deeply nostalgic money.

From what I heard, Stranger Things was supposed to be a anthology series, meaning the same cast every season, but a different story, different characters, different time periods etc. Much like the Haunting Of ______________ series on Netflix. But everyone loved the characters so much, they decided to just keep going with it. They didn't have much real story to tell after season one, so they just try and meaninglessly ramp everything up each time.

One thing I liked about the first season (which never appeared again, really) is the facinating trope/theme of your classic "super powered lab experiment little girl". I find this theme really facinating because it actually always represents (most of the time) dually a "loss of innocence" metaphor, and a "who is the monster, those who are different, or those who persecute them"?

You can actually find this trope all over.
Eleven -Stranger things,
Lucy/Nyuu - Elfen Lied
Wanda - Avengers (To a degree)
(This is just a start)

Heck, even River Tam.

I could go on about that, but eh, maybe better not.

Plasma

Be excellent to each other, and party on dudes! ❤️
Staff member
I think the biggest concern of this fourth season is the question of “is the show trying something way too ambitious”. The trailer to me made it seem like this international battle against evil (and that “there’s a war coming” line made me want to hurl), and that’s not really what the strengths of the show were.

I’m probably just a stick in the mud, but the show has never again hit the height of when Hopper found out Will’s body was a fake. That first season was a perfect blend of sci-fi, horror, drama, and mystery in a way that they have just failed to match since, and the scale of the seasons has bafflingly gotten bigger and bigger when the small scale of the first worked so perfectly. Everything in this trailer just has me going yikes, unfortunately 😬

That being said, I would love to be proven wrong on this! :)

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
See I get that, but sometimes their damned if they do and damned if they don't. If you carry on the show you have to expand the universe and do different things. It does make sense to do that in a scifi show.
Top Bottom