• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

What was your initial, very first reaction to Buffy?

Plasma

The Second Sister
Staff member
Black Thorn
Scared, actually!

My first exposure to Buffy was almost two decades ago, when I would watch this channel called “Chiller”. It was a horror channel here in the US that would show all sorts of stuff. Freddy’s Nightmares, Buffy, sometimes they’d show a movie (I remember they pushed Midnight Meat Train a lot 🤔), but it was all horror themed or horror-adjacent.

Anyways, lil me is watching it in the earlier morning hours (the ones where you wake up and just can’t sleep), and here comes Kralik murdering people and messing Buffy up! It wasn’t until many years later that I gave the show a chance, and here we are!

But yeah, Helpless freaked me out as a kid!

BibliophileAnn

Bangel shipper/fan
I first watched in 2001 during the Thanksgiving Weekend Marathon on FX. Ep. Surprise of S2 was the first episode I watched. It hooked me and I fell in love with Bangel. Not having watched the series from the beginning I didn’t know why Angel couldn’t fly on a plane and why he was afraid of the sun. After that I watched the rest of Season 2. The ending in becoming 2 made me sob uncontrollably. I then caught up on the episodes I had missed and doing so found out the reason why Angel is afraid of the sun. I have been a fan ever since. After Buffy ended I watched Angel and kept watching Buffy reruns.
On January 4th 2010 I found this board and have enjoyed being here ever since.

Reason: Wanted to clean up my post.
Last edited:
Black Thorn
When I first found out Dawn hadn't always been there when I watched Season 5 I was very shocked. II watched Season 6 and 7 first so my reaction was backwards lol.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
When I saw the promos of the series I was glad that a show about vampires was going to be shown, when the series was first shown on TV I was quite impressed even more so after a few months as that twat with the character name of Pike wasn't in it, he was bloody awful plus he didn't look right at all.

TheMaster666

Potential
I saw it when it first came on Amazon Prime Video maybe a year ago? Maybe 2 years now? At first I remember thinking it was okay, I kinda liked the concept and the campy fun comedy mixed with gothic/demonic elements. Very 90s, very grungy. I watched maybe 1 episode every once in a while. When I started season 2, it seemed quite obvious that each character was getting paired up with somebody, even Giles was getting a love interest. So all that romance drama was a turnoff, made my eyes roll, especially all the Buffy/Angel stuff. Yuck. However, once Angel went bad everything changed. By the end of the season, I was extremely impressed, both by David Boreneaz as an actor, and even moreso by the writing. It's like a modern day Romeo and Juliet. Season 3 fueled the addiction further once Faith became a murdererous Slayer on the loose. By that point I became so eager to just eat up every next episode and I entered binge territory for the rest of the show.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

✨ Dracarys ✨
Black Thorn
I discovered Buffy back in 2015 while I was recuperating from a car accident. My arm and leg were broken, so I pretty much sat around channel surfing. One night on FX, I caught a glimpse of Dark Willow and I was completely.ENTHRALLED. After that, I made sure to catch the show whenever it was on. It was fun! I mean, I'd always know about it, but never sat down to watch.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
I think it was that Julie Benz appeared on set as the vampire Darla, she scared the beejesus out of most actors.

Miss Muffet

"Can I trade in the children for more cash?"
Sineya
So Buffy is my mom's favorite show, and for a while that's all I really knew about it (plus the vampires part). I vaguely remember her saying something about Buffy dying and Willow slaying, and at one point she showed me 'Standing' from OMWF, but that was kind of it.
Then a couple years ago, my mom suggested I watch it, so I said yes because we usually have similar tastes.
I went into the first episode expecting to like it, but after the Darla twist, I was a little shocked and really intrigued. The entire episode pulled me in and by that last shot of the episode, I knew I was hooked.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
I should probably note I saw the movie first, as it aired quite frequently on HBO. I don't recall it being that bad. Then again, I wasn't trying to make a feminist/existentialist classic without a lot of Donald Sutherland.

Top Bottom