• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Who do you think wrote all of Giles' books?

TheMaster666

Potential
Think about it for a moment. Every type of demon, or nearly every, has been catalogued, recorded, described, illustrated in painstaking detail, etc. Who could stand to gather all this information...and not be brutally murdered by said demon he was investigating?

You think Buffy's the real hero of the show? Nah, think again, it's the anonymous writers.

Maybe the author's like Virgil, just some lost demented soul condemned to spend eternity following these demons around as part of some ironic punishment. Not a human writing the books at all, well not a living one anyway.

Or maybe the Council were a bunch of cowards.
"Alright lads, listen up. Now I understand the first 552 men we sent in to the vampire's nest sadly didn't make it back. But I've got a good feeling one of you good chaps will be able to return with something new and useful for my book. So, who'd like to volunteer to go first?"

How do you think Giles' books got written?

Plasma

Be excellent to each other, and party on dudes! ❤️
Staff member
Or maybe the Council were a bunch of cowards.
"Alright lads, listen up. Now I understand the first 552 men we sent in to the vampire's nest sadly didn't make it back. But I've got a good feeling one of you good chaps will be able to return with something new and useful for my book. So, who'd like to volunteer to go first?"

In all seriousness, the books were likely written over several centuries, cataloging the demons and various encounters with them. The books have a lot of information, but as we see in Checkpoint, they do not have everything, so perhaps they are limited to human understanding of this world/dimension. I think Giles even says at one point that other dimensions are hypothesized by some in the Council.

I like to think that the books were collectively written by a ton of different people and were passed down through the generations to the active Watcher. Maybe the Council had them all shipped to Sunnyvale before Giles arrived or something.

Alternatively, maybe Giles himself wrote these books as some really cool fan fiction, but he just so happened to be completely right… 🤔

Cohen

Hellhound

In all seriousness, the books were likely written over several centuries, cataloging the demons and various encounters with them. The books have a lot of information, but as we see in Checkpoint, they do not have everything, so perhaps they are limited to human understanding of this world/dimension. I think Giles even says at one point that other dimensions are hypothesized by some in the Council.

I like to think that the books were collectively written by a ton of different people and were passed down through the generations to the active Watcher. Maybe the Council had them all shipped to Sunnyvale before Giles arrived or something.

Alternatively, maybe Giles himself wrote these books as some really cool fan fiction, but he just so happened to be completely right… 🤔
And remember a lot of the books were in various languages.. including "dead" languages like Latin, Sanskrit, Babylonian.. so these texts are not just centuries old, but also millennia old!

thrasherpix

Scooby
Much of it was Watcher journals over Slayers, so it was the Slayer reporting back. That, and Watchers doing a thesis.

I'm sure other sources were used and acquired, perhaps even Wolfram & Hart. They had the Malleus Maleficarum, which was written by the Catholic Church (though the actual book in our world is nothing like the one shown in BTVS). They also have witches to call upon so they likely have ways of finding out (from lore to binding spells to divination).

Hey they learned Glory is a god when all supposedly forgotten her is beyond me, but maybe the memory spell didn't affect works already written before the presumed birth of Ben.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
Why did I think of the Giles cartoons (by Ronald 'Carl' Giles) in the newspaper The Daily Express?

Stake fodder

What about my me?
I think a lot of the info in the books was acquired haphazardly. I imagine the ancient Watchers sweeping in to an area that a demon had destroyed and getting witness statements (and any demon effluents left behind). In fact, I can believe the Watchers Council might have let a demon loose in some communities, just to study what it did, justifying the carnage for the purposes of science.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
The info in the books were probably gathered from two primary sources; demon hunters like Sid (before he was a dummy) and Daniel Holtz whose specific job/calling was to stalk and kill these creatures without the aid of any superpowers, so having all possible info on their habits, tactics and weaknesses would be paramount. These hunters then probably turned their findings over to the church.
Since the fall of Rome (in the real world) the church monasteries dedicated themselves to preserving all knowledge that they could as well as documenting/recording historical matters. I feel that 'minions of Satan' or however they conceptualize demons would've been important enough to copy down and distribute around to various institutions, brotherhoods and 'good' organisations. The Watcher's council would fit in here somewhere.

It is worth noting that, despite what Buffy claimed in 'Checkpoint' the Watcher's do send out groups to deal with dangerous creatures or prolific vampires, no doubt one person in the group would be selected as scribe to best document the encounter. Probably seen as the most important job, from a Watcher's pov.

The second source would probably be the bad guys themselves; evil holy books, how-to guides for dark magick users or cultists, possessed seers rambling about the end of the world/fall of man and the like; along the lines of 'this creatures grants power/does this/excretes that' useful thing for a baddie wishing to gain personal power. The bad guys texts would have a different emphasis, obviously, on how cool evil is and how badass and unstoppable the demons are, but useful info could be gleaned from them if and when the Watcher's council confiscates them, documents them and adds them to their massive collections of dusty piles.

Top Bottom