Angel & Spike & Age Gaps

NoShip

Scooby
Joined
Feb 12, 2023
Messages
1,316
Age
56
I have been spending time on Reddit's r/buffy which is NEVER a good idea. One of the topics being debated is which vamp relationship is "better" or "mature" or "real" etc.

One of the arguments that comes up over and over and over and over is that Bangel is terrible because of the age gap of 220+ years. I agree with that argument.

What I don't get is why Spuffy is not considered terrible for it's 100+ year age gap.

Can anyone explain that?
 
Spike is hot with charm, cheekbones and a cool leather coat.

Really, if any age gap like that is a problem, they all are. Anything else is hypocritical.

Now, if vampires don't really alter once turned, their age when turned is relevant, as are the mores of the time they grew up in.

Also, why do so many immortal vampires hang around schools? Sure, they may look young, but a school is one of the worst places for someone who doesn't age, because it will rapidly become obvious. Just look at how out of place many of the Harry Potter cast looked amongst the children by the end! Homeschooling, or simply pretending to be an adult makes it much easier to blend.
 
One of the arguments that comes up over and over and over and over is that Bangel is terrible because of the age gap of 220+ years. I agree with that argument.

What I don't get is why Spuffy is not considered terrible for it's 100+ year age gap.

Can anyone explain that?
I think it's less how old Angel and Spike are than how old Buffy was during the relationship. She was only 16/17 with Angel, which is considered still a minor in the US, whereas she was 20 or so with Spike. Also, by the time she is with Spike, she's had more relationship experience, not the naive starry-eyed girl who fell in love with Angel.

But if these were all regular people, not vampires and slayer, we might look askance at either relationship, as the woman involved is so young and comparatively inexperienced compared to a man in his 30s.
 
Back
Top Bottom